OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a further dilution to triple check if you want, but I'm pretty sure you're in a super high phosphate situation. Anyway, add two mL of tank water then fill the vial to the line with RODI. Then multiply the result by 5
38×5=190 is what I got

OP
OP
Cdime712

Cdime712

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. Definitely super high phosphate. It must have been the dead sea hare. I'd do a water change right away and make sure you check your ammonia levels too

Attachments

• 16213900793747243931459026918689.jpg
    16213900793747243931459026918689.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 43

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried confirming with a different test kit? There are high phosphate kits out there. You’re using ultra low range. If you’re going to have to do major changes to tank to fix something this off you should at least get a second opinion from different kit.

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38×5=190 is what I got
I think you should bring your sample to LFS to have them test for you, if there is really high phosphate in the tank then I would use microbacter 7 max dose everyday for 2 weeks to bring down phosphate along with using rowapho.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should bring your sample to LFS to have them test for you, if there is really high phosphate in the tank then I would use microbacter 7 max dose everyday for 2 weeks to bring down phosphate along with using rowapho.

FWIW, I do not think bacteria dosing is an effective way to decrease a very high phosphate level.

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I do not think bacteria dosing is an effective way to decrease a very high phosphate level.
Microbacter7 stated right on the bottle:
Benefits are:
1. rapid reduction of organic carbon, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate
I used this product max dose as recommend on bottle every days for 2 weeks, reduce my phosphate from 18 down to 0.05

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbacter7 stated right on the bottle:
Benefits are:
1. rapid reduction of organic carbon, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate
I used this product max dose as recommend on bottle every days for 2 weeks, reduce my phosphate from 18 down to 0.05

Sure they claim it. They want you to buy it. I don't believe it is a good method for phosphate.

I hope your statement is a typo and not a literal claim that you dropped 18 to 0.05.

Brightwell makes several demonstrably false claims. The best spin one can give is to say they are ignorant of the truth. It's a very sad state of affairs and the fact that several companies make such misleading claims is the primary reason that an expert chemist like myself has been running science based reef chemistry forums for decades.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An example of Brightwell brilliance:

"Boost pH+ High Range pH Increaser, raises pH only without increasing alkalinity or calcium (in tanks already having a proper dKH)"

"Warning: Contains caustic sodium and potassium hydroxides in a proprietary base"

Their own safety warning proves they do not understand their own product. Hydroxide is a perfectly fine alkalinity supplement. It's how kalkwasser and other products add alkalinity.

DCN01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway, I used it and my phosphate went from 0.18 down to 0.03 within 2 weeks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyway, I used it and my phosphate went from 0.18 down to 0.03 within 2 weeks

OK. Maybe that was real cause and effect, and it is a good tool for that, or maybe it dropped for other reasons.

IMO, it is not a good method for phosphate lowering. :)

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure this issue has been resolved by now but I just want to point out that this is a 13.5 gallon aquarium we are talking about. In this instance just change out like 90% of the water with fresh mix it's like two 5 gallon buckets. Will there be a big swing, yes. But if there were concerns of levels being this off fixing it quickly is probably better than going the gradual natural route or using media.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im sure this issue has been resolved by now but I just want to point out that this is a 13.5 gallon aquarium we are talking about. In this instance just change out like 90% of the water with fresh mix it's like two 5 gallon buckets. Will there be a big swing, yes. But if there were concerns of levels being this off fixing it quickly is probably better than going the gradual natural route or using media.

While that works perfectly for things like nitrate that do not bind to rock and sand, even a 100% water change may only make a small decrease in phosphate since most of the actual phosphate may be bound to rock and sand.

One member showed that 1 pound of dry dead Florida rock can temporarily hold 57 ppm of phosphate while only 0.16 ppm remained in solution. You might thus have to do many, many 100% water changes to lower phosphate substantially.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/phosphate-absorption-rates-in-aragonite.352405/page-4#post-4501106

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While that works perfectly for things like nitrate that do not bind to rock and sand, even a 100% water change may only make a small decrease in phosphate since most of the actual phosphate may be bound to rock and sand.

One member showed that 1 pound of dry dead Florida rock can temporarily hold 57 ppm of phosphate while only 0.16 ppm remained in solution. You might thus have to do many, many 100% water changes to lower phosphate substantially.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/phosphate-absorption-rates-in-aragonite.352405/page-4#post-4501106
I did not consider that possibility. Thank you.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%

Back