Hanna phosphate

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reef 90 gal. Currently using only carbon in dual brs reactor. Stopped GFO months ago after a small start of Dino's. I've been testing my water using Hanna phosphate. Not ultra low range. Consistent 0 readings. Will not raise at all. Everything in the tank is happy and healthy. Should I be concerned with zero? Shall I scrap the regular phosphate and only go with the ULR tester?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you shouldn't be concerned with a 0 reading - because the LR Phosphate meter doesn't have the accuracy/resolution to test that low. All its telling you is that you're below about .08.

The ULR meter would definitely be more useful for you - I like the Phosphate ULR because it doesn't turn off as quickly as the ULR Phosphorus - but its a little less accurate/lower resolution.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed directions 100 percent and consistently the same way each time. Have always had a reading of 0.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, you shouldn't be concerned with a 0 reading - because the LR Phosphate meter doesn't have the accuracy/resolution to test that low. All its telling you is that you're below about .08.

The ULR meter would definitely be more useful for you - I like the Phosphate ULR because it doesn't turn off as quickly as the ULR Phosphorus - but its a little less accurate/lower resolution.
I thought the resolution of the LR was .04, and the ULR was .02? So, OP could be anywhere between 0 and .04. No?

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same problem, and my chalices are receding and zoas are closed. Oddly, nitrates are at 10, though. Interesting to hear your tank is doing well with more or less 0 phosphates.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running on the API test zero on nitrates. Waiting for the Hanna nitrate test.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the resolution of the LR was .04, and the ULR was .02? So, OP could be anywhere between 0 and .04. No?
Ideally, but not really. Any testing equipment is less accurate at its extremes, and at really low values testing error/vial preparations/ glass etching/scale/etc become way more of an issue.

Where he doesn't seem to actually having any issues - my advice would be to stop chasing numbers and not worry about it - his phosphates are higher than his test is indicating. Where you ARE having issues - its more likely that you've bottomed out and should probably feed more/remove some nutrient export/etc.

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally, but not really. Any testing equipment is less accurate at its extremes, and at really low values testing error/vial preparations/ glass etching/scale/etc become way more of an issue.

Where he doesn't seem to actually having any issues - my advice would be to stop chasing numbers and not worry about it - his phosphates are higher than his test is indicating. Where you ARE having issues - its more likely that you've bottomed out and should probably feed more/remove some nutrient export/etc.
Thanks. Working on it! I’ve started dosing Red Sea A and B, and doubled up my feeding.

I think I need to start running my skimmer only at night, as it seems like it’s probably the issue. It’s pretty oversized.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I've bottomed out should I restrict my skimmer use? Stop using carbon in the media reactor? Again all fish and corals appear happy and are growing. Is everything just well established?

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. I'm having the same problem. I have the ULR Hannah checker and my 20g reef is always reading 0 phosphates (my nitrates are also reading zero but I have an API test kit and it's notoriously inaccurate. Waiting on my Hannah checker to ship). This doesn't seem normal...or is it?

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have turned to looking at my corals. I am still testing zero on the Hanna phosphate. Corals are happy and full. Growth is good. Like someone said before for me not to chase numbers. And I've stopped. Cause every one thing you do has a reaction to it whether positive or negative. Go off how your tank is doing. Being a medic I treat the patient not the monitor meaning look at the tank and not the numbers. Good luck.

OP
OP
eric33014

eric33014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.
I've stopped chasing numbers and haven't tested since I began this thread. Tested this evening and phosphate is reading 0.17. Not having a huge algae problem but have had turf algae clumps grow but haven't expanded. They grew while my phosphate were still reading zero. TDS on my ro/di is reading zero. So I thought I'd start back up GFO in my dual #BRS reactor. Have been running carbon in both canisters. Any ideas from anyone

#BRSInvestigates

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 25 86.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 6.9%
Back