Hanna Phosphorus Results

Sick_man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this hanna checker and my phosphates are high at .21ppm. After taking out the test vial, the water inside is still very clear. Is there supposed to be a distinct color change after the reagent is added and mixed? To me, it looks the same as before and after adding anything. Just wondering if the color is supposed to change like the hanna alk checker. Thanks in advance.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the presence of phosphates it will change color. It can be pretty tough to see with the naked eye though unless your phosphates are very high.

Dirty glass, air bubbles, etc can distort the readings, but generally would say if it is reading at .21 then there was a color change that the magic eye in the machine was able to recognize.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on level, it does turn a shade of blue.

When I'm around .2 I can clearly see a blue tint to the test vial. It's not much, but enough you can see a difference between clear and a bluish tint.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up this hanna checker and my phosphates are high at .21ppm. After taking out the test vial, the water inside is still very clear. Is there supposed to be a distinct color change after the reagent is added and mixed? To me, it looks the same as before and after adding anything. Just wondering if the color is supposed to change like the hanna alk checker. Thanks in advance.
It depends on your eyesight, lighting and the way you view the vial whether you detect a color change. 0.21 ppm is faint. Your system PO4 is likely 0.21. Don’t forget the plus/minus part of the Checker’s accuracy. The PO4 could be lower than 0.21 ppm (or higher)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back