Hanna po4 tester

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered new reagents for my phosphorus ultra low tester. Tested and I got 200ppb. the water turned blue before I started shaking for the 2 minutes. I had one package for the original 6. I tested and it showed zero. What the heck. total rip off.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the correct sku# reagent packet?

I’m wondering if using the ‘regular’ testing powder instead of the ultra low has too much ‘contaminating’ phosphate in there abs the ultra low is maxed out

I only ask because I just got my reagent refills but haven’t opened them yet. I should check I got sebtvthevright sku

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second try- clean AND dry cuvette? One time I used a slightly dirty syringe to add water to a cuvette for a copper test (it had been used to titrate copper power into the tank) and it went bright magenta before I even shook it.

Maybe contaminated with tap water that’s high in phosphate. Maybe repeat with a second packet after cleaning cuvette with rodi?

Just spitballing.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used clean and dry cuvette the second time. It came with 2. I use ro/di water only but the water is out of the tank so it is saltwater. Thanks for your help.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant a second test with one of the new packets, not one of the original 6 that came with it.

If you did a second test with another new packet, and it was zero, I’d say the first one was contaminated.

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d try that before calling them. Get the test cuvette as clean abs dry as possible, then try again.

If you get two packets reading max, and you’ve cleaned the cuvette and dried it in between, I’d personally be tempted to do a third test, with rodi as the sample with a third packet. If that reads high, the packets themselves may be contaminated.

Highly doubtful, since the reagents are made as a huge batch and portioned into packets, so a bunch of people should have noticed also.

Do you have a Lot# ? If you keep getting high readings and my newly purchased packets match lot#, I’ll test my packets too

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old packets that came with the tester—

75999da1f071c3bf8066d8867144886e.jpg

My brand new unopened 25 pack

1aedd58c9eae40e07f0fbfa16f297f9f.jpg

They match?

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, both your old and new packets are the same lot, and they match my new packets.

The fact you had a zero reading with your old packets (the ones with the H1736 -0) and they have the same lot# as your new packets, rules out a batch contamination issue.

Only question now is whether a repeat test with a second new packet also gives you a high reading. If not- then the first test was an outlier and contaminated. If it does- there’s a contamination in your sampling protocol, or, your tank phosphate is actually > 200ppb. Remember this is still just 0.2ppm. Is that likely? (I’m assuming not given your reaction to the initial test result)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using that same tester over a year. I test almost daily so I go through almost a box a month.

Have you had a second test from the box give a similar reading. If I ever get a reading I think is not right I always retest. As a rule I will never make a change to my tank based on one test. I treat all and phosphate daily and o ly make changes when I see a trend over a couple of days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the phosphate ultra low or the phosphorus ultra low. All three different Hanni phosphate checkers look alike but all take different reagent. I would try running test again. If it is still not the results you expect post a pic of your tester and the reagent pack.
Look up a couple post. I took picture of the box and the new reagent. also there is a picture of the old reagent.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up a couple post. I took picture of the box and the new reagent. also there is a picture of the old reagent.
I am a slow typer. It wasn't there before I posted. Then after I posted and the page refreshed it was. I edited the post when I seen it then it refresh when I posted the edit. Sorry. Just trying to help.

OP
OP
marvelousone

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using that same tester over a year. I test almost daily so I go through almost a box a month.

Have you had a second test from the box give a similar reading. If I ever get a reading I think is not right I always retest. As a rule I will never make a change to my tank based on one test. I treat all and phosphate daily and o ly make changes when I see a trend over a couple of days.
I retested with the last reagent from the original 6. I will retest tomorrow with the new one. I will not make changes till I know what is right.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back