Hanna salinity calibration solution

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used Hanna h170024 and got any reading other than 1.026?

I just re-calibrated the Milwaukee ma887 with fresh r.o.di water @ 1.000. My tank reads 1.026. The fresh opened sample checked multiple times, consistently read 1.019.

What does this mean...I have a floating hydrometer coming Thursday to check it against.

I have tried 2 other off brand solutions both with inconsistent readings throughout the sample so I figured not shaken or bad test im not sure.

Anyone read 1.019 with this packet,..im sure not but I figured I'd ask?

20210406_224523.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure someone who know way more than me about this will reply at some point but I don't believe the reference solution that is used for Hanna can be tested accurately with the Milwaukee meter. If I am correct it is because the Hanna uses conductivity and the Milwaukee is a refractometer.
If you look at the front of the package it's says not for refractometers.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk and never used that fancy of a digital refractometer but you shouldnt use rodi to calibrate.
Use calibration fluid to 1.026. Or 32ppt.
What i use in my eye glass beer style refractometer...hths
D

Attachments

• 20210331_005946.jpg
    20210331_005946.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 73

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk and never used that fancy of a digital refractometer but you shouldnt use rodi to calibrate.
Use calibration fluid to 1.026. Or 32ppt.
What i use in my eye glass beer style refractometer...hths
D
Actually for the Milwaukee you are supposed to calibrate it with distilled water.
For a normal handheld refractometer I agree with you though.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say that but I was told the "hanna"would read right. I figured for the 1$ it was worth a shot.. the Milwaukee instructions say to calibrate with pure rodi water thats part of the reason I got it ..

I have a floating hydrometer coming in to check it against

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does say that but I was told the "hanna"would read right. I figured for the 1$ it was worth a shot.. the Milwaukee instructions say to calibrate with pure rodi water thats part of the reason I got it ..

I believe I saw a posting by Randy Holmes Farley about how reference solutions wouldn't work from one type to another. I have no idea the science behind it though.
If you have anyway of measuring weight down to about a gram you can make a really cheap and easy reference solution for refractometers. That is what I use to test my Milwaukee.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually for the Milwaukee you are supposed to calibrate it with distilled water.
For a normal handheld refractometer I agree with you though.
I'm sorry and stand corrected, could this be my problem?

Attachments

• 16177659097748683282571606511530.jpg
    16177659097748683282571606511530.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 57

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry and stand corrected, could this be my problem?
I've used both the bottle of distilled water that comes with the meter and I've used my own RODI water to calibrate and testing it against my homemade reference solution it didn't make a difference. Also, if you still have all of the stuff that comes with the Milwaukee it includes a test solution....although mine never measured right with it and when I researched it I found many people wouldn't get the correct reading with the provided test solution.

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you ever figure out if the calibration solution was correct. I was advised by brs a while back that it would be good to confirm it but I never tested it myself besides it literally say's on the package not for refractometers. I'm interested if your hydrometer confirmed your Milwaukee measurements or if it was off.

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rigel! I actually ran the test on my Milwaukee refractometer last night since I never used any of my packets and got the same results. I just think the solution is not meant for the refractometer. Only problem for me is I dont personally have anything to compare the results of my actual mixed salt water at home like you do. When you compare the three different measurement tools on your mixed water are there any difference? Also could you say you trust one more then another? I definitely would be happy to know that when using either device if it's calibrated properly it will test correctly. I've just been calibrating my Milwaukee reflectometer with distilled water as it say and trusting that it's correct or consistent with what reads as 1.026. Thanks again.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Gtinnel is 100% on this one. The Hanna measures and calibrates based on conductivity not refraction like your Milwaukee. Ironically Hanna says this right on the calibration pouch in the pic you posted

Rigel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Hanna the best as it checks temp of my mixing water at the same time. It has worked for me since I bought it a couple years ago. I verify the SG is correct once while I am making up water against the Vee Gee refractometer. If I were to have a deviation in measurement I have the Milwaukee and also the Tropic Marin High precision hydrometer. I don't really use the Milwaukee because the margin of error is the highest at +/- 0.002 SG.

I believe it is good to have ways to double check measurements, I don't fully trust one piece of equipment or way of measurement. I would suggest getting another form of salinity testing. The tropic Marin hydrometer is not that much but is glass, fragile, and delicate. I only use it in a brute trashcan or a plastic container due to fear of breaking but I trust it. Also the water needs to be still as it bobs on the surface. I have noticed the testing equipment are all a little off from each other (margin of error ±0.001 S.G. as stated by manufactures). As long as I am within the 0.001 SG I am comfortable with the results. I guess everyone approaches things differently and you need to decide a method that works for you and helps you feel confident in your measurements.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Hanna the best as it checks temp of my mixing water at the same time. It has worked for me since I bought it a couple years ago. I verify the SG is correct once while I am making up water against the Vee Gee refractometer. If I were to have a deviation in measurement I have the Milwaukee and also the Tropic Marin High precision hydrometer. I don't really use the Milwaukee because the margin of error is the highest at +/- 0.002 SG.

I believe it is good to have ways to double check measurements, I don't fully trust one piece of equipment or way of measurement. I would suggest getting another form of salinity testing. The tropic Marin hydrometer is not that much but is glass, fragile, and delicate. I only use it in a brute trashcan or a plastic container due to fear of breaking but I trust it. Also the water needs to be still as it bobs on the surface. I have noticed the testing equipment are all a little off from each other (margin of error ±0.001 S.G. as stated by manufactures). As long as I am within the 0.001 SG I am comfortable with the results. I guess everyone approaches things differently and you need to decide a method that works for you and helps you feel confident in your measurements.
The Hanna also temperature corrects for salinity readings which is something refractometers and hygrometers do not

Deep Dive Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I've considered getting the tropic Marin hydrometer since it's likely just definitely correct. The Milwaukee does also adjust for temperature but is likely not as fast as the hanna. The only reason I didn't start with the Hannah is because I saw a bit more negative reviews which of course could be user error. I've found the Milwaukee a bit bulky and obviously more tedious then dunking the hanna in water though. I only have a 20 gallon tank so I have to really consider the best way to test using the hydrometer because it may not fit in the tank. I might just get a separate plastic tube that I could fill with water and test if it doesn't fit in the tank or I feel like I may be clumsy. I just have to do a bit more research on how to use it and store it.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Rigel! I actually ran the test on my Milwaukee refractometer last night since I never used any of my packets and got the same results. I just think the solution is not meant for the refractometer. Only problem for me is I dont personally have anything to compare the results of my actual mixed salt water at home like you do. When you compare the three different measurement tools on your mixed water are there any difference? Also could you say you trust one more then another? I definitely would be happy to know that when using either device if it's calibrated properly it will test correctly. I've just been calibrating my Milwaukee reflectometer with distilled water as it say and trusting that it's correct or consistent with what reads as 1.026. Thanks again.
The cheapest way to trust a single device is to have a solution with a known salinity and test it to double check that your device reads that value correctly. There is a recipe by Randy that will give you a solution with a know salinity and you can make it with just rodi and table salt.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Gtinnel is 100% on this one. The Hanna measures and calibrates based on conductivity not refraction like your Milwaukee. Ironically Hanna says this right on the calibration pouch in the pic you posted
Yeah I got that... That's from April 21' (now January 2023) allot has changed for me since then, a month is long enough to change ways completely, lol. I don't use the Milwaukee anymore, it's my back up/ back up/ never used
:)

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I got that... That's from April 21' (now January 2023) allot has changed for me since then, a month is long enough to change ways completely, lol. I don't use the Milwaukee anymore, it's my back up/ back up/ never used
:)
I hear you. I’ve been at this for 2-3 years and always learning and regretting decisions. Haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back