hanna salinity tester calibration solution bad for fish

Savo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my hanna salinity tester calibration solution into my saltwater mix to get the temperature correct for the calibration. The calibration solution was open. It was folded twice and setup in the mixing tank so it wouldn’t move. When I came back 30 minutes later it dislodge where it was and floating in the tank. I don’t think a lot of solution got in the tank if any. I’m just worried it’s not reef safe?

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially it should just be precisely calibratiled saltwater/saline. If you have considerable worry do a partial water change. Personally I wouldn't sweat it but whatever helps you sleep at night is what I'd recommend. Happy reefing.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not just salt water, whether it’s safe or not I don’t know but it’s definitely not salt water as the Hanna’s calibration fluid is conducive fluid as that is how the Hanna works.

Depending how large your salt water mix is and how much you think may have got in…can you not weigh the remaining fluid and try and figure out if any leaked out.

I personally would error on the side of not using it but if we are talking 50g here I may reassess that :rolleyes:

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not just salt water, whether it’s safe or not I don’t know but it’s definitely not salt water as the Hanna’s calibration fluid is conducive fluid as that is how the Hanna works.

Depending how large your salt water mix is and how much you think may have got in…can you not weigh the remaining fluid and try and figure out if any leaked out.

I personally would error on the side of not using it but if we are talking 50g here I may reassess that :rolleyes:
ive heard the tester isn't good, recommendation for a digital one?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the original question, I doubt the Hanna fluid is any concern.

Hanna does not reveal what it is exactly, but IMO, it almost certainly is either sodium chloride, potassium chloride, or a seawater mimic. None of these are a concern if a little spills into a reef tank.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the original question, I doubt the Hanna fluid is any concern.

Hanna does not reveal what it is exactly, but IMO, it almost certainly is either sodium chloride, potassium chloride, or a seawater mimic. None of these are a concern if a little spills into a reef tank.
ive heard the tester isn't good, recommendation for another digital one?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think it's not just saltwater? Seawater, and any salt dissolved in water, is conductive.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard the tester isn't good, recommendation for a digital one?

Sorry no as I don’t use that type, all of them will need calibration on a regular basis to rely on.

I use a Tropic Marin hydrometer, no calibration needed, very accurate, you can either just use this with a 500ml measuring cylinder for checking or just use it for checking a good refractometer that you can use on a more regular basis.

Use the hydrometer to check the salt is at 1.0264 (the hydrometer is that accurate) then store a little of that water in a bottle and use that to check the calibration of your refractometer before using.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive heard the tester isn't good, recommendation for another digital one?

I do not know whether it is good or not (I've read a million posts, most everything is thought bad by someone lol).

That said, I like standard conductivity meters sold to scientists. My preferred meter is an old Orion model 128 that some folks have found on ebay.

I've also used the Pinpoint. It seemed accurate enough, but took a bit longer to adjust to the water temp so was slower to get a measurement than my Orion.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think it's not just saltwater? Seawater, and any salt dissolved in water, is conductive.

From their own product description…

HI-70024P is a premium quality 35.00 ppt marine salinity solution standardised with a conductivity meter that has been calibrated with potassium chloride NIST 2202 SRM (Standard Reference Material) in deionised water for analytical use in accordance with ISO 3696/BS3978. Additional equipment used in preparation of the solutions include certified weight-checked balances, Class A glassware and certified thermometers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If this is the standard in question, they may just make it from potassium chloride since that is what they are matching:

"
HI70024P is a premium quality 35.00 ppt salinity calibration solution standardized with a conductivity meter that has been calibrated with potassium chloride NIST 2202 SRM (Standard Reference Material) in deionized water for analytical use in accordance with ISO 3696/BS3978. Additional equipment used in preparation of the solutions include certified weight-checked balances, Class A glassware and certified thermometers.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From their own product description…

HI-70024P is a premium quality 35.00 ppt marine salinity solution standardised with a conductivity meter that has been calibrated with potassium chloride NIST 2202 SRM (Standard Reference Material) in deionised water for analytical use in accordance with ISO 3696/BS3978. Additional equipment used in preparation of the solutions include certified weight-checked balances, Class A glassware and certified thermometers

FWIW, that doesn't say it is potassium chloride, just that it is standardized against KCL, but I agree it may be KCl, or it may be a seawater mimic, or even just NaCl (like my DIY standards). :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call KCl saltwater, and perfectly safe if a little was spilled into your aquarium.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 66 45.5%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 14.5%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back