Hanna Testers worth it?

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone

Looking for some advice on whether it is worth replacing my salifert testers with Hanna testers. My wife got me a hanna nitrite tester for Christmas as well as 100 dollar gift card to BRS. I was thinking I could get the alkalinity and phosphate and maybe ammonia tester as well with an extra gift card I have. Is this a good plan or is it better to stick with my Salifert testers?

Thanks in advance
1fastrock

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost never check nitrite anymore. After tank is cycled it should always be zero, unless some catastrophic happens to harm the biological filter.

Most recommend there alk. And ulr phosphate tests. I have the calcium test and it is a bit cumbersome. I would still keep the salifert kits to double check the hannas.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched reviews for years on Hanna and saw enough issues to just stick with the ULR Phosphorus after a couple years using the LR Phosphate kit.
I bought the HR Copper last year but never had a chance to give it a workout

Salifert is my go to for Alk, Ca, Mag, NH3, NO2 and NO3

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna UL Phosphorus Checker and Alk, are the only devices I can get a fair consistent number, fast, and easy to use.

I couldn’t get that accuracy with the Nitrate or Calcium checker, Salifert is still my go to here.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't read any phosphate test other than the hanna line. It is hard for others who are not color blind like me to read most phosphate test kits out there. Just keep in mind it is good practice to wipe the vial with a microfibre cloth everytime you touch the glass and to store RODI water in the vial when it is not being used. Also inset the glass vial the same side facing you each time. Hanna checkers are the easiest to read but easiest to mess up. For major elements I use red sea tests. For nitrate I use nyos and red sea nitrate pro.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no issues with the Calcium tester except that it requires more steps and you have to do the steps a bit more accurately.

If I only had a $100 it would still be ALK and UL Phosphorus first.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ALK and Copper ones are great, have heard the Phosphate one is solid too (gonna pick that one up next). The calcium one is apparently very finicky and frustrating.

With any Hanna meter they have those annoying reagent packets that are the worst part of the test. Don't know why they wont put it in a bottle with a little measuring spoon

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... My wife got me a hanna nitrite tester ...
Do you mean Nitrate? I haven't tested for Nitrite since setting up my first tank 8 years ago. ;-) If you did actually get that one then maybe return it for exchange.
Hanna Alk and Phosphorus ULR are great. So quick and easy.
Oh, and if you are one to QT and use Copper Power, get the copper tester. Only way to be accurate enough with the levels.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Alk and I love it. Phosphate one is good but I used an older one and the test took 3 minutes and was kind of tedious to run. I’m planning on getting a salifert kit for phosphate

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I love Hanna kits and could kick myself for not using them sooner

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ditto. I have several of the Hanna kits and recommend them. I agree that Alk and Phosphate would be the first two that I would recommend.

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it is nitrate that I have. Thanks for all the responses. Is it worth keeping this one or return it to get the alk and phosphate?

OP
OP

1fastrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would this be the alkalinity one I would want. There’s a few different ones.
7FB7A001-F6FA-4B4F-8B1A-F54D1287A604.png

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Copper, Phosphate, Alk, Calcium

The only one I hate is Calcium.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound strange but I added an Amazon Alexa to my tank stand a while back and man what a difference it makes to set timers to use the Hanna checkers! I agree with most that the alk and phosphate checkers are awesome! I also have the copper checker for qt’ing fish.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All and phosphate ulr by Hanna are the best and cheapest out there. All is only 9 bucks a month and super easy to test daily. Phosphate is simple and easy. Calcium I am not a fan of.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it is nitrate that I have. Thanks for all the responses. Is it worth keeping this one or return it to get the alk and phosphate?
That’s a lot better than having a Nitrite tester. I never test nitrite again after the cycle. Nitrate is important to know, it just looks like the Hanna nitrate is complicated. It’s also new that’s another reason why nobody has it.

Back