Hanna Testers worth it?

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would this be the alkalinity one I would want. There’s a few different ones.
Yes, reading in dKH is the most common reference. Mine is in ppm so I'm always converting. Not a big deal but if I had the option I'd go back and choose the dKH one.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Alk and I love it. Phosphate one is good but I used an older one and the test took 3 minutes and was kind of tedious to run. I’m planning on getting a salifert kit for phosphate
Salifert is extremely hard to read below .1, the steps are .1, .03 and 0, the .1 is a very slight blue the other two no colour at all.

MCWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have add CA, ALK, Nitrate, and phosphate.. If you clean the glass after each use and line the up consistently while testing.... I think they are some of the best. I sold the alk and ca, after started using my trident for those testing. If I didn’t have the Trident, I would still have all 4

Arcu2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d keep it and get the phosphate ULR, alkalinity and salinity checkers. The nitrate isn’t as hard as people say. Yes it’s a lot of steps and the most time consuming checker but it beats looking at the colors on most nitrate tests out there. The salinity checker is awesome when I’m making fresh saltwater.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have add CA, ALK, Nitrate, and phosphate.. If you clean the glass after each use and line the up consistently while testing.... I think they are some of the best. I sold the alk and ca, after started using my trident for those testing. If I didn’t have the Trident, I would still have all 4
I love my Trident but my experience has been that the readings you get from it can slowly drift between calibrations. Also there is a point where this accelerates faster due to the cuvette becoming stained and I suspect even faster when the dosing pump head assembly wears. It’s always good to have a Hanna checker to double check it at least once a month.

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it is nitrate that I have. Thanks for all the responses. Is it worth keeping this one or return it to get the alk and phosphate?
If you can live with doing all the steps then keep the Nitrate tester. For me personally it is just to many steps so I would change it for Alk and then use the extra money on phosphorus and Calcium

Cryptocaryon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find them more of a faff than a titration kit but they do have their advantages

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got the Alk and I love it. Phosphate one is good but I used an older one and the test took 3 minutes and was kind of tedious to run. I’m planning on getting a salifert kit for phosphate
I found the Salifert kit very difficult to read anything except "yup there's PO4" or "nope there's none".
Not so great when you're dosing to a specific level.

Hanna Phosphate kit is great for tanks with very high PO4 (above 0.613ppm)
Hanna Phosphorus kit is the bomb for low readings and I use the conversion chart from PPB to PPM

https://www.hannainst.com/hubfs/006...phate-conversion-table--hanna-instruments.pdf

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the Salifert kit very difficult to read anything except "yup there's PO4" or "nope there's none".

Hanna Phosphorus kit is the bomb for low readings and I use the conversion chart from PPB to PPM

https://www.hannainst.com/hubfs/006...phate-conversion-table--hanna-instruments.pdf

yeah I agree, I’m now finding it a pain not having a number, tried both Salifert and Elos today, the Elos was a toss up between 3 colours and the salifert looked like pain water, so left me none the wiser really.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hm this is interesting to hear. I’d just be looking to keep my phosphate between .03-.08 so as long as I can know that it’s under .1 I’d be happy

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also would this be the alkalinity one I would want. There’s a few different ones.
7FB7A001-F6FA-4B4F-8B1A-F54D1287A604.png
Yup, dats de one!
Also, for phosphate, UL test for “phosphorus”
It reads in PPB, mine is 12ppb and ZERO on every other test.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got all the Hanna Checkers for Christmas and I love using it all.
I was using several other name brands and I did not like them as well, I am not gonna name them since everyone has their preference on stuff they like to use .
I am using the Salifert test for MG, its pretty easy.

Attachments

• Santa gifts.jpg
    Santa gifts.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 32

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR phosphate, blue desktop model not the egg one, Alk and CA. I’ve never had a problem with these, consistent. Just wipe them down and rinse with di water. On the CA, I use their water. I also check calibration with their calibration solutions.
I would definitely buy again.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I could decipher that. My eyes are still quite young despite a rather intense prescription for glasses lol

really! The last 3 colours are the ones you will be looking at not the nice shades of blue...post back with how you get on.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna ULR phosphate, blue desktop model not the egg one, Alk and CA. I’ve never had a problem with these, consistent. Just wipe them down and rinse with di water. On the CA, I use their water. I also check calibration with their calibration solutions.
I would definitely buy again.

which one do you mean?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back