Hannah Phosphate checked or ULR phosphate ???

ivanzlemus

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2024
Messages
34
Reaction score
13
Location
bakersfield
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between a regular Hannah phosphate checker and the ultra low version ? Just getting into dosing and I am confused on wich one to use



IMG_3170.jpeg
 
Ulr has 0.02 better accuracy in individual result readings . That’s about it. It trying to stay below .1 and about 0 is your goal ULR is better. Above that probably makes no difference in which you use. Also have the ULR as I have no intent of running phos about .9 so I’ll take the slight more accurate meter
 
HI-717: 0.0 to 30.0ppm in 0.1ppm steps.

HI-774 (ULR): 0.00 to 0.90 in 0.01ppm steps.

HI-736 (ULR): 0 to 200 ppb. Measures in "Phosphorus" (P) not "Phosphate" (PO4). Values have to be converted by multiplying with 0.003066 if you want Phosphate readings which are more commonly used in the hobby.

Note: The actual precision/error is larger than the step size, so measurements won't be exact down to the last digit.
 
What is the difference between a regular Hannah phosphate checker and the ultra low version ? Just getting into dosing and I am confused on wich one to use



IMG_3170.jpeg
Most folks get the ULTRA version because "reefs should have no nutrients".

Unfortunately that's hooey.

The regular unit covers a much more useful range, and won't tempt you to lower nutrients toward "zero" and wreck your tank.
 
Most folks get the ULTRA version because "reefs should have no nutrients".

Unfortunately that's hooey.

The regular unit covers a much more useful range, and won't tempt you to lower nutrients toward "zero" and wreck your tank.

I wish I would have gone with the regular unit. My curiosity has me wondering how high my tank really is because quite often I get a flashing 0.9 . Most people don't run it that high so the ULR works for the majority.
 
You can dilute your sample with 50% clean saltwater and then double the result the tester generates, but it also compounds the uncertainty of the unit as well, so half as accurate/precise too I guess. Usually worth it to get a real number tho.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new