Hannah salinity checker calibration

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Is it ok if i calibrate my hanna salinity checker with something like Fauna Marin's 35ppm salinity reference?

Im asking because where i live getting the fauna marin reference is way cheaper than getting hanna's calibration packets. Thanks.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Is it ok if i calibrate my hanna salinity checker with something like Fauna Marin's 35ppm salinity reference?

Im asking because where i live getting the fauna marin reference is way cheaper than getting hanna's calibration packets. Thanks.
I’m interested to hear what folks have to say. I just went through our entire lab, trying to reconcile all of our various ways to measure salinity/specific gravity - what a mess! I used a German lab hydrometer as a standard, been using it for almost 30 years. I found that my 2 new Hanna meters read low if I calibrated them with their solution. Better if I made my own standard solution. I have two Hanna multi parameter probes, and those worked better, using their calibration fluid. Our Milwaukee electronic refractometer worked the best, just zeroed with RODI. Some of our swing arm hydrometers were also spot on, but others were garbage.
Jay

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested to hear what folks have to say. I just went through our entire lab, trying to reconcile all of our various ways to measure salinity/specific gravity - what a mess! I used a German lab hydrometer as a standard, been using it for almost 30 years. I found that my 2 new Hanna meters read low if I calibrated them with their solution. Better if I made my own standard solution. I have two Hanna multi parameter probes, and those worked better, using their calibration fluid. Our Milwaukee electronic refractometer worked the best, just zeroed with RODI. Some of our swing arm hydrometers were also spot on, but others were garbage.
Jay
I am experiencing something similar, just on a smaller scale. My Red Sea refractometer reads 1.025 while my hydrometer reads 1.028. That being said, the hydrometer is 5 years old and the refractometer could be damaged as i bought it second hand, also i calibrate it with rodi which some might argue is wrong. I really want to get a hanna salinity checker, it really makes the process so much easier and much more accurate. Calibrating my refractometer after each use is very tiring. I hope someone can chime in and tell me that it is OK to use fauna marin's solution instead of hanna's packets.

RGC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see how it would hurt it, but I am always a proponent of using a reagent for what tool it was designed for. I have the hanna test kit and have only used the hanna calibration packets.

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d stick with the calibration fluid made specifically for the device

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’d stick with the calibration fluid made specifically for the device
I would do that too but the price difference is crazy. One bottle of fauna marin's (100 ml) is about 7$ here (im outside the us) while a one time use packet from hanna (20 ml) costs abit more.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back