Happened again......

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the ph in the co2 already connected to the PH2 on my apex. Would I be able to ise that, instead of buying a new pm1?
Yes that work too. I didnt have an open PH slot on my Apex so that is why I use a PM1 module.

Here is what I use for my code (The PH numbers would be adjusted up or down depending on your needs):
Fallback OFF
If CaRxPH > 7.10 Then ON
If CaRxPH < 7.00 Then OFF

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that work too. I didnt have an open PH slot on my Apex so that is why I use a PM1 module.

Here is what I use for my code (The PH numbers would be adjusted up or down depending on your needs):
Fallback OFF
If CaRxPH > 7.10 Then ON
Im gonna buy a selenoid now. Thank you.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the Ca Reactor. I made the mistake of going to a doser from my reactor once and now I am back to the reactor. I know exactly what you mean by the dripper getting clogged and its very frustrating always screwing around with the output. Watch this video and try this method, it works good.

Another option would be to get a Masterflex Peristaltic Pump or similar to use for feeding your reactor. The drip would stay constant then. Before you go this route I would do some research about using the Masterflex pumps since there are many different Masterflex pumps and you will want to pull the water through the reactor versus feed the reactor.

Excellent video. This method is very good and what I have used for years.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the Ca Reactor. I made the mistake of going to a doser from my reactor once and now I am back to the reactor. I know exactly what you mean by the dripper getting clogged and its very frustrating always screwing around with the output. Watch this video and try this method, it works good.

Another option would be to get a Masterflex Peristaltic Pump or similar to use for feeding your reactor. The drip would stay constant then. Before you go this route I would do some research about using the Masterflex pumps since there are many different Masterflex pumps and you will want to pull the water through the reactor versus feed the reactor.

@Gui Paim

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fallback OFF
If CaRxPH > 7.10 Then ON
Do I need to connect the solenoide to an apex energy bar, or can it be any outlet? My apex energy bars are all full. If it needs to be connected to it, then I will need to buy a new one.
Thanks again. It stopped again this night. Its crazy.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to connect the solenoide to an apex energy bar, or can it be any outlet? My apex energy bars are all full. If it needs to be connected to it, then I will need to buy a new one.
Thanks again. It stopped again this night. Its crazy.

You will need to connect it to your Apex energy bar so that you can turn the flow off and on depending on the PH.

Another option would be to buy one of these and use it to turn the solenoid on and off as needed. Then you wouldn't need to purchase another EB8 but you wouldn't be able to see what was going on with your reactor from afar.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-mc122-ph-controller.html

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to connect it to your Apex energy bar so that you can turn the flow off and on depending on the PH.

Another option would be to buy one of these and use it to turn the solenoid on and off as needed. Then you wouldn't need to purchase another EB8 but you wouldn't be able to see what was going on with your reactor from afar.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/milwaukee-mc122-ph-controller.html
Ok got it! Im still looking for a solenoid that will fit my regulator.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ithk21620 I got all the parts today to do this. I installed. Im lost here.
I have the output running... not dripping
My tank PH is low since I got the calcium reactor.
Its at 7.9.
I dont think I can start at 7.1 and shut off at 7.0
Im all lost here. The solenoid turns on, 7.1 but doesnt turn off at 7.0. Im not sure on how to setup. How much co2 bubbles should be.
Help please.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ithk21620 I got all the parts today to do this. I installed. Im lost here.
I have the output running... not dripping
My tank PH is low since I got the calcium reactor.
Its at 7.9.
I dont think I can start at 7.1 and shut off at 7.0
Im all lost here. The solenoid turns on, 7.1 but doesnt turn off at 7.0. Im not sure on how to setup. How much co2 bubbles should be.
Help please.

The tank PH doesn't matter, its the PH inside the ca reactor. I also wouldn't start at 7.1-7.0 I would start more like 7.5-7.6 and work your way down over time so you don't cause an Alk spike.

You will need to program an outlet on the EB8 that will turn on and off depending on the PH inside the reactor. I believe you were going to do this off or your PH2 probe on your apex. You will need something like this:

Fallback OFF
If (Whatever your PH probe is called) > 7.60 Then ON
If (Whatever your PH probe is called) < 7.50 Then OFF

Also the CO2 bubbles don't matter much but I would run them at 1-2 per second so you don't flood the reactor with CO2 and cause the valve to continually short cycle.

Without seeing your exact setup its hard to see what is wrong exactly. Can you post a couple pictures? Post your coding of your apex?

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up to turn on at 7.3, and shut off at 7.2.
Bubble rate at 2 per second.
Right now my calcium reactor PH is at 6.34
I was trying to figure out, and it dropped a lot.
So the calcium reactor is running with the co2 bubbles off right now. Only the output is running. That means no CA and ALK are Going in the tank correct?
My undestanding is that PH raises when co2 bubbles are off. As soon as it turns on CA and ALK dump in the water and lower PH.
@ithk21620

0ACEB73B-0E54-43F1-81C5-208AFDB132CB.png

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I set up to turn on at 7.3, and shut off at 7.2.
Bubble rate at 2 per second.
Right now my calcium reactor PH is at 6.34
I was trying to figure out, and it dropped a lot.
So the calcium reactor is running with the co2 bubbles off right now. Only the output is running. That means no CA and ALK are Going in the tank correct?
My undestanding is that PH raises when co2 bubbles are off. As soon as it turns on CA and ALK dump in the water and lower PH.

0ACEB73B-0E54-43F1-81C5-208AFDB132CB.png

As the PH drops in the reactor the media melts creating Ca and Alk. With your reactor at 6.34 right now the media is releasing ca and alk but the reactor will gradually increase in PH. Just let it run and watch to make sure the bubbles come back on when it hits 7.3 and then **** off at 7.2

Once you know it is working correctly you will want to let it run for a few days so the tank settles down and you can see exactly what is going on. Like I said I started high and adjusted every week to two weeks until the tank went at least a week without dropping in alk

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back