Happened again......

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous thread was about my calcium reactor dripper getting glogged. It happened again. Im done with it.
Im going back to a doser.
I have an apex.
Is the DOS a good pump?
What other option I have it for a Good quality equipment?
Thanks.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My previous thread was about my calcium reactor dripper getting glogged. It happened again. Im done with it.
Im going back to a doser.
I have an apex.
Is the DOS a good pump?
What other option I have it for a Good quality equipment?
Thanks.
I would stick with the Ca Reactor. I made the mistake of going to a doser from my reactor once and now I am back to the reactor. I know exactly what you mean by the dripper getting clogged and its very frustrating always screwing around with the output. Watch this video and try this method, it works good.

Another option would be to get a Masterflex Peristaltic Pump or similar to use for feeding your reactor. The drip would stay constant then. Before you go this route I would do some research about using the Masterflex pumps since there are many different Masterflex pumps and you will want to pull the water through the reactor versus feed the reactor.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stick with the Ca Reactor. I made the mistake of going to a doser from my reactor once and now I am back to the reactor. I know exactly what you mean by the dripper getting clogged and its very frustrating always screwing around with the output. Watch this video and try this method, it works good.

Another option would be to get a Masterflex Peristaltic Pump or similar to use for feeding your reactor. The drip would stay constant then. Before you go this route I would do some research about using the Masterflex pumps since there are many different Masterflex pumps and you will want to pull the water through the reactor versus feed the reactor.

Very nice video. The second option the peristaltic pump. Do you know how they do this? Where does the pump go, and what would be the right one?

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a peristaltic brs pump work?
A BRS pump wouldn't last. The Masterflex pumps are rated for continuous use.

Check out this thread for more information:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-masterflex-calcium-reactor-setup-thread.243219/

The Masterflex pumps are not cheap by any means but they work great. Also you would need a place for it since they are not the smallest.

I would personally try setting up your reactor like the video I posted and see how it goes. I went this route until I found the Masterflex I wanted but I may not even buy one now since my system is nice and stable without it.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BRS pump wouldn't last. The Masterflex pumps are rated for continuous use.

Check out this thread for more information:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-masterflex-calcium-reactor-setup-thread.243219/

The Masterflex pumps are not cheap by any means but they work great. Also you would need a place for it since they are not the smallest.

I would personally try setting up your reactor like the video I posted and see how it goes. I went this route until I found the Masterflex I wanted but I may not even buy one now since my system is nice and stable without it.
Ok. So you are trying the first option? The same on the video?
For how long is it working?
Thanks.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So you are trying the first option? The same on the video?
For how long is it working?
Thanks.
Yes I run a setup very similar to the video. I have been running it this way for around 6 months and have not had any issues. When I first started I started the PH level really high since I didn't have much for sps at the time and I knew I wouldnt be using up much ALK and Ca. I slowly dropped the PH in the reactor once I started adding more sps. I would drop the PH by 0.1 every other week or so and continued to test until I saw my Alk levels remain the same over a two week period. I now only test the Alk and Ca about every other week and if I see the numbers start to drop I adjust the PH down another 0.1

I am using an additional PM1 module on my Apex to control the PH but any stand alone PH controller should work too. I currently keep it between 7-7.1 in the reactor.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run a setup very similar to the video. I have been running it this way for around 6 months and have not had any issues. When I first started I started the PH level really high since I didn't have much for sps at the time and I knew I wouldnt be using up much ALK and Ca. I slowly dropped the PH in the reactor once I started adding more sps. I would drop the PH by 0.1 every other week or so and continued to test until I saw my Alk levels remain the same over a two week period. I now only test the Alk and Ca about every other week and if I see the numbers start to drop I adjust the PH down another 0.1

I am using an additional PM1 module on my Apex to control the PH but any stand alone PH controller should work too. I currently keep it between 7-7.1 in the reactor.
How do I control the PH? What will need to shut off or turn on if ph is too high or too low? The co2 bubble?

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I control the PH? What will need to shut off or turn on if ph is too high or too low? The co2 bubble?
You shut off the CO2 going to the reactor once it hits the low end and start the CO2 when it rises above your setpoint.
What type of reactor do you have? PH controller? Regulator & Solenoid?

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You shut off the CO2 going to the reactor once it hits the low end and start the CO2 when it rises above your setpoint.
What type of reactor do you have? PH controller? Regulator & Solenoid?
Reef octopus CR 140 single chamber
I have an apex controller
Tunze regulator

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef octopus CR 140 single chamber
I have an apex controller
Tunze regulator
Do you have a solenoid valve to turn the CO2 on and off? I dont think the Tunze regulators have a solenoid on them from what I remember.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a solenoid valve to turn the CO2 on and off? I dont think the Tunze regulators have a solenoid on them from what I remember.
No selenoid
The one I have it.
EDB6E51C-AA4B-4A15-BEFF-6F6C6D2E552A.jpg

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No selenoid
The one I have it.
EDB6E51C-AA4B-4A15-BEFF-6F6C6D2E552A.jpg
How are you controlling your reactor then? Do you just use bubble count and drip rate? I can see you having a major issue with not having a solenoid to shut off the CO2 to the reactor because the lower the PH in the reactor the more likely the media will melt. This will also cause you issues with the drip rate stopping because the media being melted is causing the build up.

Here are is good articles that explain the basic setup of a Ca Reactor
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/1276

Or this video shows how and why to use PH control towards the end of the video

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you controlling your reactor then? Do you just use bubble count and drip rate? I can see you having a major issue with not having a solenoid to shut off the CO2 to the reactor because the lower the PH in the reactor the more likely the media will melt. This will also cause you issues with the drip rate stopping because the media being melted is causing the build up.

Here are is good articles that explain the basic setup of a Ca Reactor
http://www.melevsreef.com/node/1276

Or this video shows how and why to use PH control towards the end of the video

Yes bubble count and drip rate. Im new to calcium reactor. I thought it would be easier to have it.
To be honest I think I lost all my sps. With this thing glogging

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes bubble count and drip rate. Im new to calcium reactor. I thought it would be easier to have it.
To be honest I think I lost all my sps. With this thing glogging

I would take some time and read up on Ca reactor setups and see what direction you want to go. I would never run a reactor without PH control so I would say at a minimum you need to get a solenoid valve and PH controller or use the second PH input on your Apex as the controller.

Nice tank BTW. I keep my Alk around 8 so I dont think 7 is that bad.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take some time and read up on Ca reactor setups and see what direction you want to go. I would never run a reactor without PH control so I would say at a minimum you need to get a solenoid valve and PH controller or use the second PH input on your Apex as the controller.

Nice tank BTW. I keep my Alk around 8 so I dont think 7 is that bad.
Ok. So if I get a PM1 to control the ph, and a selenoid to turn the co2 on and off will work? Where do I connect the selenoid? Does the selenoid connect to the pm1?
Thank you so much for the time and efford to help me.

ithk21620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So if I get a PM1 to control the ph, and a selenoid to turn the co2 on and off will work? Where do I connect the selenoid? Does the selenoid connect to the pm1?
Thank you so much for the time and efford to help me.
Yes that would work.
The solenoid will go right after the CO2 regulator and will have a power cord that you can plug into your apex. Then you would program your apex to turn on / off the solenoid valve depending on the reading from the PM1. You will need to install the PH probe in the reactor or inline with the discharge of the reactor so you know what the PH is inside the reactor.

OP
OP
renato120

renato120

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that would work.
The solenoid will go right after the CO2 regulator and will have a power cord that you can plug into your apex. Then you would program your apex to turn on / off the solenoid valve depending on the reading from the PM1. You will need to install the PH probe in the reactor or inline with the discharge of the reactor so you know what the PH is inside the reactor.
I have the ph in the co2 already connected to the PH2 on my apex. Would I be able to ise that, instead of buying a new pm1?

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back