HAPPY TORCHES LOW SALINITY

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I upgraded my sump and added fresh water to it, tank was due for a water change but ran out of Red Sea coral salt.

Anyway I turned the pumps back on and added a lot of beneficial bacteria to the tank (100ml).
Today I torched are looking happy as ever so I checked the salinity and it’s below 35ppm. My tank is full of LPS and all seems well but the torches are really happy.

I may have to experiment with this lower salinity levels for a bit

The Acantho coral takes a bit to fully open up lights just came on

IMG_4279.jpeg IMG_4277.jpeg IMG_4281.jpeg

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine around 1.024 SG or 34 PPT at 78 degrees which seems to work best for my mixed reef.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know as I had salinity usually higher. I’ll keep it at these levels for now on.
I also heard it’s a better level to keep away marine velvet and other pest that attach fish. Is that true
Looks like you are at 1.024. If that is it then no it doesn't help with velvet or ick. Much lower salinity 1.016 to 1.018 is low end for fish thought to deter those pests 1.009 is considered hypo salinity which has been shown to actually effect the parasites. Anything lower then 1.023 is not good for corals.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back