Hard Brown Small Circular Algae

heyItzCathan

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2025
Messages
95
Reaction score
60
Location
Highland
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. Over the past week, I’ve had a hard brown algae appear on my walls. The way I can describe it is it’s brown, circular, each circle is around less than a centimeter wide/radius, it’s very hard to remove (I’ve tried a drivers license and my nail and it puts up a fight but eventually falls off) nothing stronger since it’s acrylic. I’m thinking it’s diatoms but just wanted to check in with you guys.

Edit: I did want to mention that I use RODI water (2 month old BRS kit) so not sure where the silicates came from as that’s what diatoms eat? I’m assuming there’s silicates since the diatoms appeared but I’m not sure.
 
Here’s a picture
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4280.jpeg
    IMG_4280.jpeg
    262.6 KB · Views: 72
I tried a 3 day blackout and it did very little. Is this coraline?
 
Here are my levels:

Ammonia - 0-0.25 (I couldn’t tell the color but it was in between those numbers)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10
Alk- 7dkh
Phosphate - 0.25
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new