Hard, dark crusty stuff on hammer stem

hanabata

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 17, 2023
Messages
33
Reaction score
25
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have a hammer that’s not opening, and it has a dark, jagged, stuff, and crusted on its stem. I’ve read threads about algae, but I assume the algae would be soft, but maybe not. I’m pretty new at this. This stuff is hard like tree bark.

I have another hammer in the tank that’s fine. Its stem is smooth.

Wondering if I should try hydrogen peroxide in case it is some kind of algae and try to scrub off just the stem.

I’ve attached a picture of the affected coral, my other hammer that seems to be doing fine. And lastly a cyphastria. Is this thing dead? I don’t see any polyps, but it still has color on the base. It used to have small, yellow polyps.

Thanks for reading:)

IMG_5135.jpeg IMG_5140.jpeg IMG_5142.jpeg
 
Vermetid snails.
They may or may not be irritating the coral.
Remove the frag from the tank and scrape/chisel the entire shells off and rinse in another container of tank water before returning the coral to the tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new