Hard pink encrusting on octospawn

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had had got back from the lfs, I noticed this and asked one of the employees but they said they didn’t know either but I know it’s been there for a bit and hasn’t seem to bother the coral
It has a clear tentacle spurting outward like a worm not really sure what it could be, there’s more on the back but smaller

Also, I’m about to dip, if it’s not harmful I’ll keep it maybe

0901E8FB-76F7-4C2B-A34C-256D0814258A.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the "tentacle" hard as well? Could be a vermetid. Do you have pics of the others?
Does the tentacle pop in and out and "wave" at you? If so, it's probably a barnacle.
My instinct would be to remove it/them, but if you're dipping, it might kill them anyway.

OP
OP
N

nathan212178

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It the "tentacle" hard as well? Could be a vermetid. Do you have pics of the others?
Does the tentacle pop in and out and "wave" at you? If so, it's probably a barnacle.
My instinct would be to remove it/them, but if you're dipping, it might kill them anyway.
It’s wavy, like there’s the hard pink area and under it comes out a small thin clear tube that waves around, if it’s a barnical I’d like to keep it but again not sure, would like it for it’s filter feeding lol but I’ll most likely take it off

geoljills

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like a brachiopod, which would have two shell halves with a "pedicle" - a tentacle-like or worm-like stalk extending from a hole between the two halves of shell. I have never seen one in a reef tank before, though. They are filter feeders and would need to be target fed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back