Hard plumbing advise for 120g

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an older 120g 4x4x2 with 2 returns and 2 drains. I have a 40g breeder below. Looking for pictures to help figure out plumbing. I have one return pump, uv sterilize, and would like to hook up a diaphram so I can attach other things in the future. Thanks in advance for any help
a526f7ebd3801f159668ae27e0ee231d.jpg
9c20c67e09d12b7484cf1f364130cbea.jpg

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need help please. Attached is my idea. Please give me advise. Return pump will probably be the Apex 2.0.

Out of the return pump, I believe it is 1.25" slip Into a manifold with 3 valves, then into a Y (or T) which feeds two returns in the tank. I'll need a ball valve before the Y to control the flow. I believe the return bulkheads are .75" so I will need a reducer before the Y also. And 2 unions (.75").

For the drains, the bulk heads (2) are 1". One will be an emergency, the other will be the main drain. It will come to a union, then expander to 1.5", then Y into 2 drains in sump.

What am I missing? I need to get a list of parts together soon.
19b3b50b6eeb318c8af8e255a820bc80.jpg

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why split the main drain with a Y? Are you wanting to use two socks? Or is it something specific with your sump design?

Also for the emergency drain...you should consider running it in a way to where you know it is having to be used. Like making it above water level so you here it...or have it drain directly in front of your return pump so you see the excess bubbles in your display.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why split the main drain with a Y? Are you wanting to use two socks? Or is it something specific with your sump design?

Also for the emergency drain...you should consider running it in a way to where you know it is having to be used. Like making it above water level so you here it...or have it drain directly in front of your return pump so you see the excess bubbles in your display.

Here you can see my 3 drains in the sump, that is why I'd like to split it up.
e228f03027f13428038d479b14c681bc.jpg

pdt7361

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking sump and now it makes a bit more sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It's funny how our phones autocorrect SUMP with DUMP. Hahaha but yes, that is why I'm looking for advise.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I may be looking at it wrong. It looks like the return pump feeds a manilfold. on one these outlets feed the uv. But the uv output looks like it feeds back into the return manifold?
If so not sure if it would work? interesting.

Also I split my returns also I wanted water to enter at both ends of the tank. I'm sure I lost a lot of volume but.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I may be looking at it wrong. It looks like the return pump feeds a manilfold. on one these outlets feed the uv. But the uv output looks like it feeds back into the return manifold?
If so not sure if it would work? interesting.

Also I split my returns also I wanted water to enter at both ends of the tank. I'm sure I lost a lot of volume but.

Yeah the plans changed a little since I drew the picture. I plan on draining UV back into sump, just to make things easier. I'll need a ball valve before the UV too.

I'm not sure what you mean about splitting returns...

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 with a 20L sump. My plumbing splits in the back with a T going to 2 returns and I do have a ball valve but it's open all the way as my return pump is dc so it adjusts the flow for me.
5f262660084ed6ea14663546326143de.jpg

de6a35eef923eb4d8ac6ba8e6e442c57.jpg

The 2 lines on the manifold go to a reactor and display refugium.

Hope this helps with ideas!

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 with a 20L sump. My plumbing splits in the back with a T going to 2 returns and I do have a ball valve but it's open all the way as my return pump is dc so it adjusts the flow for me.
5f262660084ed6ea14663546326143de.jpg

de6a35eef923eb4d8ac6ba8e6e442c57.jpg

The 2 lines on the manifold go to a reactor and display refugium.

Hope this helps with ideas!
Yes it does, thank you.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the areas highlighted in yellow, what is the purpose of dual returns coming out of the sump? Are you running two return pumps?

Other than that it looks like a pretty solid plan. Though I would not split your main siphon drain, it might make more noise than it's worth and aside from Looks, serves no real purpose.

The tank is set up for dual returns within a center overflow and 2 drains.
f20d4f9173756ce3ae2752d1043f4eba.jpg

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does, thank you.

The return drain section was just cleaned so here is that setup.

8860fe583931d66e9887c8e4f8d7e858.jpg

And the sump.
5528bb58ef93071b9ceaa47ff52fbc6b.jpg

The three drainage lines go right into a refugium but I only attach a sock for 2-3 days a month when I clean the tank, otherwise I'm relying on the refugiums and skimmer to do the work. It's all working great after three months on Triton! The overflows three lines are at different levels as well, ever sense I changed the sump the emergency line is kinda a super oh no because my secondary line kinda acts as my emergency because I think with Triton I really only need 2 drains.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :)

A few things that caught my attention:

1) I think you mean manifold, not diaphragm...
2) The bit that shows a loop in and out on your return line, through I what appears to be a UV sterilizer or some such... no water is going to flow through that tube. Out and back into the same line, it isn't going to work. I'd suggest manifold to UV, back to sump.
3) You appear to have 2 return pumps, joined together. Someone else noted the elements in yellow... Those are return lines, not drains, right? Not a bad plan, but I'd advise check valves in both. Without them, if one pump stops, the other is just going to back feed through the pump that isn't running, rather than pumping to the tank.
4) I think you're on track with this, but the photos that show the stainless steel hose clamps... those things are asking for trouble. If you're using them, get rid of them. Nothing wrong with using hoses, but get some nylon hose clamps. Even out of the water, those cheap stainless clamps will rust away in no time.

OP
OP
Lowefx

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi :)

A few things that caught my attention:

1) I think you mean manifold, not diaphragm...
YES I COULDNT THINK OF THE CORRECT NAME AT THAT TIME.
2) The bit that shows a loop in and out on your return line, through I what appears to be a UV sterilizer or some such... no water is going to flow through that tube. Out and back into the same line, it isn't going to work. I'd suggest manifold to UV, back to sump....
ADDRESSED AND WILL HAVE DRAINED INTO SUMP.
3) You appear to have 2 return pumps, joined together. Someone else noted the elements in yellow... Those are return lines, not drains, right? Not a bad plan, but I'd advise check valves in both. Without them, if one pump stops, the other is just going to back feed through the pump that isn't running, rather than pumping to the tank....
YOUR LOOKING AT IT UPSIDE DOWN. 1 PUMP, THRU MANIFOLD, THEN SPLIT INTO THE TANK
4) I think you're on track with this, but the photos that show the stainless steel hose clamps... those things are asking for trouble. If you're using them, get rid of them. Nothing wrong with using hoses, but get some nylon hose clamps. Even out of the water, those cheap stainless clamps will rust away in no time.
I PLAN ON GETTING RID OF THE HOSES, BUT WHAT I KEEP, I WILL SWITCH OUT FOR NYLON CLAMPS. THANKS

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back