UV Plumbing in sump

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Get rid of that hard pipe and get some 3/4" black flex tubing and 1x 90. Place a 90 on the return side of the UV. Take the tubing up and out of your cabinet. Get a 1000gph pump and tune it for about 250gph. It will take about 15 sec to fill a 1g milk container. Do this measurement out of your return nozzle in the display. My return is running at 1650gpg and I get 400gph. They lie when they rate them. I would guess that 1000gph full blast will yield you 250gph through 3/4" tubing and the UV. Your Axios is probably perfect.
youdoodle-2024-01-17T21-27-17Z.jpg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want to run Reactors run them seperate. Just pull water from a small 250gph cheap Amazon pump and return it to the same section of the sump. Use a ball valve on the pump side to tune your tumble. An Aquamaxx HOB reactor is perfect. I run them for carbon and gfo. They are tiny and cheap and stay out of the way. Be careful with GFO. Thats how we get dinos. Run it at 25% recommended.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I pull and return my reactors in the return area of my sump. It's cleaner there and doesn't muck up my media. In case it's not clear, that UV is now your only return line. There are not two lines going to you main...
youdoodle-2024-01-17T21-42-35Z.jpg

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull and return my reactors in the return area of my sump. It's cleaner there and doesn't muck up my media. In case it's not clear, that UV is now your only return line. There are not two lines going to you main...
youdoodle-2024-01-17T21-42-35Z.jpg
Okay, I’ll have to flip the uv as my input is on the left. The GFO reactor I have is a BRS one that I got for free when I picked up a water mixing station. The AI Axis pump was bought for the UV. I have a Varios 4 return pump. I’ll try to draw something new up tomorrow and see what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0486.png
    IMG_0486.png
    209.8 KB · Views: 13

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, I’ll have to flip the uv as my input is on the left. The GFO reactor I have is a BRS one that I got for free when I picked up a water mixing station. The AI Axis pump was bought for the UV. I have a Varios 4 return pump. I’ll try to draw something new up tomorrow and see what you think.
Your output should be on the same side as where you replace the tube. They do this because most people mount them vertical and the sump is under the display. I really don't think that it matters. I'm 90% certain that you have it in the proper configuration. They make mounts that are pretty sweet as well. BRS carries them. I implore you to not use GFO. I had dinos and fought for over 2 years and had to start over after 14 years. There is nothing wrong with .1 phosphate. That is what I strive to achieve. If you are having algae issues, try a algae scrubber. You are a perfect candidate for a Santa Monica HOG 1. I just got a Surf 2xx. I'm getting ready for my first harvest.
20240117_185805.jpg

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your output should be on the same side as where you replace the tube. They do this because most people mount them vertical and the sump is under the display. I really don't think that it matters. I'm 90% certain that you have it in the proper configuration. They make mounts that are pretty sweet as well. BRS carries them. I implore you to not use GFO. I had dinos and fought for over 2 years and had to start over after 14 years. There is nothing wrong with .1 phosphate. That is what I strive to achieve. If you are having algae issues, try a algae scrubber. You are a perfect candidate for a Santa Monica HOG 1. I just got a Surf 2xx. I'm getting ready for my first harvest.
20240117_185805.jpg

Good call on the GFO. Definitely don't want to deal with that. I looked up the HOG1 and it looks great and won't break the bank.

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I purchased a HOG1 on ebay and it will be delivered today. Do you know what type of air pump could work?
As I recall he said 1.5l pump. I have a 3l on it but I had to put a valve on it. There is no such thing as too much air. I suggest going big so when it gets full air can force its way full. You can always turn down a big one too. I use a tetra AP300. The 150 will work fine. You can go with a cheap Chinese knockoff from Amazon if you wish.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work just fine, I have adopted a similar approach in my tank.

Alternatively, you can plum it in-line with your return pump provided the return flow matches the required flow for your UV. It is the most efficient way to make sure that all the water is treated.
That's exactly what I would do. When i built my system, I plumbed in a dual .5 inch manifold, because foresight. ;)
One supplies my refugium, and I have another for uv/canisters or whatever. You can tweak the flow into the reactor with a ball valve to get it right. And if he plumbed it off the return, you could also mount it above the sump and out of the way which is important as time goes by...

1706302772770.jpeg

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The HOG I got is used. I would you recommend I clean it before use? Don’t want to start my fallow period over.
Yea for sure. I doubt anything survived but it won't hurt. I keep a low concentration bleach solution in a spray bottle. This would be perfect for this application. I let everything i cleach dry for 24 hours under a fan. Don't get that light wet. I'm 24 hours in and I had my ap300 valved down to about 50%. My water is about 2" from the rim. I came home today and there was salt spray everywhere. I valved it down to about 25%. I need to get a smaller pump as this is way too big. Just so you know, I'm going in a month on my surf without a harvest. It was no longer green after I week and at 2 weeks I fired up the second light. I never had that brown slime though which I think is a good thing. It went straight to bright green algae. While my nutrients aren't affected yet, I no longer need to clean my glass. My rocks really never had any algae on it. They are stained and all my snails are alive though. I'm hoping that production starts to get my phosphates down. He says that you need to harvest to effectively remove the nutrients. I respectively disagree though as it takes nutrients to grow that algae.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With the added O2, my pH rose .15 as well. Sweet! I recommend submerging it for the pH bump as well as more production. The bubbles jump a good inch so hopefully your water level isn't too close to the rim. I kinda wish that I went for the HOG1.3 for the larger area. These things are tiny. Oh well...

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the added O2, my pH rose .15 as well. Sweet! I recommend submerging it for the pH bump as well as more production. The bubbles jump a good inch so hopefully your water level isn't too close to the rim. I kinda wish that I went for the HOG1.3 for the larger area. These things are tiny. Oh well...

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many hours a day should I run mine?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back