UV Plumbing in sump

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a 25w Aqua Ultraviolet (older version, so much larger) and I want to plumb it to my sump. The first chamber has a larger filter sock, second is the skimmer and the third is the return. I was thinking of putting the pump next to the skimmer pushing water into the uv and then have the return plumbing into the return chamber. Would that work?

IMG_0193.png

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you supplying flow to the uv. Pumping from the first chamber to the return is fine, just have te flow right.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you supplying flow to the uv. Pumping from the first chamber to the return is fine, just have te flow right.
Not sure I could do the first chamber due to the sock and the platform that’s there. I was going to get the AI Axis 90 pump as it’s mostly vertical and controllable.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the limited space and setup of your sump. I think that is the best solution that you have for your setup. It will work fine.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work just fine, I have adopted a similar approach in my tank.

Alternatively, you can plum it in-line with your return pump provided the return flow matches the required flow for your UV. It is the most efficient way to make sure that all the water is treated.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will work just fine, I have adopted a similar approach in my tank.

Alternatively, you can plum it in-line with your return pump provided the return flow matches the required flow for your UV. It is the most efficient way to make sure that all the water is treated.
Yeah, the plumbing is from the previous owner and has been a nightmare to repair all of the leaks. That pic is from before I fixed it. Also, my return is on the lowest setting, as the drain to the sump isn't very strong. I could probably crank it up, but not sure. I think I will try the sump part and see if it works.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the plumbing is from the previous owner and has been a nightmare to repair all of the leaks. That pic is from before I fixed it. Also, my return is on the lowest setting, as the drain to the sump isn't very strong. I could probably crank it up, but not sure. I think I will try the sump part and see if it works.
Best of luck! :) Let us know how you get on.. Plumbing is always a nightmare, I am so so so bad at it so I hope you had better luck than me :D

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Plumb it inline with your return pump to the display. The best option is a closed loop in the display (display to display), but the aforementioned works fine if you have a small display (<70g) considering you are running a small UV. Running a closed loop in the sump doesn't do much if anything at all...

I run a 57w inline with the return on a 130g (90g with displacement) at 380gph to target protozoa and algae.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumb it inline with your return pump to the display. The best option is a closed loop in the display (display to display), but the aforementioned works fine if you have a small display (<70g) considering you are running a small UV. Running a closed loop in the sump doesn't do much if anything at all...

I run a 57w inline with the return on a 130g (90g with displacement) at 380gph to target protozoa and algae.
MY tank is 65g. My only concern with running it inline with the return pump is that I am having issues with the flow back into my sump. I have my return on the lowest setting otherwise it empties the sump. I think part of the issues is I have flex tubing going from the overflow to the sump. I am going to hard plumb it soon and hopefully that takes care of the issue as I want more flow to the tank.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What diameter is it? I'm running a 1" flex pipe and it handles 1000gph. Do you have a Durso standpipe? I only run 390gph for my 130g. You would be fine with 200gph. You need great powerheads like mp10s in your display though to get away with a 2-3x turnover.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What diameter is it? I'm running a 1" flex pipe and it handles 1000gph. Do you have a Durso standpipe? I only run 390gph for my 130g. You would be fine with 200gph. You need great powerheads like mp10s in your display though to get away with a 2-3x turnover.
They are 1". They are the grey tubes with the white PVC at the end. I'm going to install a Durso. I only have two drains, so one is the emergency. My tank is 3' long and I have a gyre on the top right and two Nero 3' on the left side.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You just aren't getting any air in it. Once you put the 90 on for the Durso and drill the top for air you will get mega flow. I only have one drain. I have the exact same setup as you. 1" standpipe to 1" Grey hose to 1" 90 into a bulkhead for my sump.

Just to to homedepot to get the parts. Start small with the airflow hole. You can always go bigger. I have to Clean mine from saltcreep every 5 years. It will gurgle when its time.

https://www.dursostandpipes.com/

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just aren't getting any air in it. Once you put the 90 on for the Durso and drill the top for air you will get mega flow. I only have one drain. I have the exact same setup as you. 1" standpipe to 1" Grey hose to 1" 90 into a bulkhead for my sump.

Just to to homedepot to get the parts. Start small with the airflow hole. You can always go bigger. I have to Clean mine from saltcreep every 5 years. It will gurgle when its time.

https://www.dursostandpipes.com/
Do you use the double 90 degree pipes or just one? I was going to use a 1" PVC Pipe and then put one 90 on top.

OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep 1 90 just like in that link.
So, I didn't follow the directions and buy the pipe larger than the bulkhead. I was able to get increased flow when I added water and cranked up my return, but then it was maybe a 1/2" from the rim of the tank. Then I turned on my UV, which I did not plumb into my return and I couldn't pump it out of my sump fast enough. I'm using the AI Axis 90 pump on 2%, so I think it's way too powerful for a UV.

I also noticed that the previous owner plumbed the return with 3/4" pipe instead of 1" so they could fit it through the sump hole.

Part of me wants to take out the filter sock, put the UV pump there and the return UV in the main return section to the tank. But, then what would I use for mechanical filtration?

I would hate to replumb everything as that would be about $200 plus and that's not including if I added a manifold.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Ian Baxter

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV isn't doing anything in that configuration. 3/4" is fine. My return is 3/4".
20240117_185905.jpg
20240117_185857.jpg
Screenshot_20240117_193906_APEXFusion.jpg
I still don’t get how you’re getting so much flow back into the sump.

I’m creating a drawing off how I might replumb the return to a manifold so I can run it to the UV and a GFO reactor. I will either get the manifold on BRS or make my own.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back