OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow great input guys and awesome setups. I have 2 reactors and 2 pumps I might use instead of on the manifold. Although I prefer to have the option to add stuff in a clean manner in the future is calcium reactor. UV sterilizer, zeovit etc.

Question: how does running multiple reactors and having all those T's off the return manifold effect the power of the flow?
I was going to use two of these on the manifold, but might just use the cobalt pumps that came with it. Not sure. Still learning lol

20161214_193749.jpg

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great approach and how I ran mine in the past.
Wow great input guys and awesome setups. I have 2 reactors and 2 pumps I might use instead of on the manifold. Although I prefer to have the option to add stuff in a clean manner in the future is calcium reactor. UV sterilizer, zeovit etc.

Question: how does running multiple reactors and having all those T's off the return manifold effect the power of the flow?
I was going to use two of these on the manifold, but might just use the cobalt pumps that came with it. Not sure. Still learning lol

20161214_193749.jpg

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont like all the pumps and wires, so i just got a larger return pump that can handle it all.

I personally won't run any reactor except carbon and a chiller off the manifold.

With the new DC pumps out, you can control the flow without tearing up the pump.

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's the main reason I want the manifold. So would a jeabo dc6000 be OK? Just curious because I have one laying around. But don't mind spending the money on high end equipment

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drew this plan up real quick. One feature I want is to be able to connect a hose to my drain standpipe and do my water changes with ease

20161221_221938.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These threads come up often but I still enjoy looking at them over and over again.

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can always learn something new, especially me being a saltwater rookie

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These threads come up often but I still enjoy looking at them over and over again.

Being new to SW, I learn something everytime I look at these types of setup threads! I'm a setup-thread-junkie!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just drew this plan up real quick. One feature I want is to be able to connect a hose to my drain standpipe and do my water changes with ease

20161221_221938.jpg

Thinking of using the Herbie return design as well...one question...why did you put a gate valve on the emergency overflow in your pic and not the main overflow line? I'm in the process of trying to layout my design as well. My tank is pre-drilled with 2 holes in the overflow...one drain and one return. I was thinking of doing what you did and use the 2 holes for a Herbie drain setup and then use an over the rim return line. Anyone else love/hate the over-the-rim returns?

OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good eye. I was wondering if someone would notice. It was by mistake and I was too lazy to erase it lol. Yes I agree Herbie setup seems superior to durso. Might as well do it while I'm setting it up

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20160722_011624.jpg

Not the best pics but my manifold goes thru the side glass. I thought this made it look cleaner without having a bunch of piping running everywhere.

I really like that idea!

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my old set-up, which will be coming apart soon. I have a hard-plumbed manifold, but opted to connect the two reactors that I had with quick disconnects and vinyl tubing. I wanted the easiest way possible to remove the reactors for service and this is how I did it. The reactors can be removed from the system in about 5 seconds and just as easy to reinstall after service. I didn't have it all together when I tood these pics, but you can get the idea of how it is set up.

Sump1.jpg

Sump2.jpg

Sump3.jpg

Sump4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gdk414

Gdk414

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the fittings called that connect to each reactor? The ones on the end of each T fitting. Also where can I buy the bulkheads and plumbing? Anyone have any good recommendations?

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the fittings called that connect to each reactor? The ones on the end of each T fitting. Also where can I buy the bulkheads and plumbing? Anyone have any good recommendations?

Bulk Reef Supply and Aquacave have a lot of bulkheads and all the fittings at decent prices. Bulkheads are around $4-5 each...my LFS quoted me $20 for two of them, lol. I like supporting the local guys, but they gotta be somewhat reasonable! Just remember when purchasing the bulkheads, you need to know if you want slip/slip, threaded/threaded, slip/threaded, etc... There are also several other places online that you can find any fitting you could ever desire!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great ideas!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back