hard to scratch algae on glass

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys sorry for interrupting
as the title says
i have some kind of brown algae on my aquarium glass and its really hard to scratch and even turbo snails couldn't eat them
i wanted to know what u normally do for removing these algae

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an old gift card (any credit card like card will work). And if that doesn’t work I use a razor blade. I also have this scraper thing that has a plastic edge that works similar to a credit card, but I don’t really use it with my current tank, it’s small and shallow enough that it’s easier and faster to do it by hand.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an old gift card (any credit card like card will work). And if that doesn’t work I use a razor blade. I also have this scraper thing that has a plastic edge that works similar to a credit card, but I don’t really use it with my current tank, it’s small and shallow enough that it’s easier and faster to do it by hand
thx im gonna use a credit card if it didnt work maybe use a razor blade but im scared if it scratches the glass and makes it look bad
if the razor didn't work im gonna buy a scraper
thanks for ur advice

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx im gonna use a credit card if it didnt work maybe use a razor blade but im scared if it scratches the glass and makes it look bad
if the razor didn't work im gonna buy a scraper
thanks for ur advice
Make sure to use a new razorblade that’s made for scraping and keep it pretty flat against the glass. You should be ok. The aquarium is glass right? Not acrylic

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to use a new razorblade
Curious why a new one?

Just to add, new blades come with oil on them. Should be cleaned off before putting in tank. I prefer ones that are used in utility knives. Trapezoid shaped. Rinse off in tap water when finished. They will rust real quick if not rinsed.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes if you’ve used the blades before they can have knicks or even rust. Those little imperfections on the edge can scratch glass. I know from personal experience. You can pick up a pack of those blades pretty cheap and chuck them after each use.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya a fresh razor blade and you should be fine. Not scratched a glass aquarium in over 30 years with a razor blade. Any of my scratches have come from getting sand in the magnet scrapers.

Just make sure not to cut into the silicone in the corners and use a fresh razor blade each time.

OP
OP
hsn izd

hsn izd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure to use a new razorblade that’s made for scraping and keep it pretty flat against the glass. You should be ok. The aquarium is glass right? Not acrylic
no its acrylic

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys sorry for interrupting
as the title says
i have some kind of brown algae on my aquarium glass and its really hard to scratch and even turbo snails couldn't eat them
i wanted to know what u normally do for removing these algae
I know exactly what you're referring to as last night I was in to my arm pits with a razor blade trying to get the stuff off front and side glass. I have the biggest Flipper and it did nothing on that type of algae. I guess the best preventive is to use whatever magnet cleaner you own on a frequent basis so as to avoid having the hard labor with the razor.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a funny solution - 3D printed light shades. Directs more of the light into the aquarium and less to the glass. Used to clean algae off the glass every 2 to 3 days. Now I go a whole week before cleaning glass and there is significantly less algae to clean. Also, I have upped my Radion’s light Point Intensity by 15% since installing the light shades - to 75%. Reduces the glare when viewing aquarium.

6BDE0D38-11A5-45C0-9BE8-C7EF92026801.jpeg

63E9F7BE-56FC-41BE-A83C-E3E1699BBA93.jpeg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back