Hardest decision: LED or T5's

Greg Mullins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen so many tanks with great results, but have been seeing a lot recently using T5's. I've been using AI Hydras and am in the process of upgrading tanks. I have a mixture of SPS and LPS. Keep in mind the lights will be inside a canopy. Should I stick with 4 Hydras? Convert to T5's? Or try out the hybrid version and install both inside the canopy? Let me know your thoughts!

OP
OP
G

Greg Mullins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting great growth, just not as much color that I feel can be achieved.. [emoji848]

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen so many tanks with great results, but have been seeing a lot recently using T5's. I've been using AI Hydras and am in the process of upgrading tanks. I have a mixture of SPS and LPS. Keep in mind the lights will be inside a canopy. Should I stick with 4 Hydras? Convert to T5's? Or try out the hybrid version and install both inside the canopy? Let me know your thoughts!

I think you should sell the Hydras for a great price and I'll buy them. Jk :)

Welcome to R2R. It's up to you. But if it was up to me Hydras all the way. If electricity/bulb change doesn't bother you then try the T5s. I like my Hydra and I have it change color throughout the day. Also it's nice to ramp up and down which you don't really get on a T5 unless you were able to time each bulb.

OP
OP
G

Greg Mullins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R. It's up to you. But if it was up to me Hydras all the way. If electricity/bulb change doesn't bother you then try the T5s. I like my Hydra and I have it change color throughout the day. Also it's nice to ramp up and down which you don't really get on a T5 unless you were able to time each bulb.

I agree, the ramp privilege is awesome! Thank you for the welcome! What does your current light schedule look like?

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as everything I've read, I don't think t5s help with color. Color is usually discussed as based on spectrum and water quality. T5s are suggested for coverage and preventing shadowing. If I had a canopy, I would try a combo with a retrofit kit though, some really nice tanks I've seen were hybrids.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

It's possible to ramp up and down with t5's...
You just have to purchase a dimmable fixture.

Imo, if you can vent the canopy then t5's are a no brainer

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that color is going to be found with nutrients and water chemistry and not lighting. But a couple t5s with the hydras is never a bad thing. But for color, here is my 120 with only hydra leds fwiw this is right out of camera with only internal white balance:

IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First and far most. Great Tank!

I think the answer is in the pudding. If you dial you LED's in and leave them with great parms then you will not have an issue. Its up to you on what color spectrum you like.
Some people like the ease of bulbs because they are set it and forget it and there are no tweaking. Good luck in your choice.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible to ramp up and down with t5's...
You just have to purchase a dimmable fixture.

Imo, if you can vent the canopy then t5's are a no brainer

Oh. I didn't know. I have T8/T5HO on my freshwater but it's just on off here.

I agree that color is going to be found with nutrients and water chemistry and not lighting. But a couple t5s with the hydras is never a bad thing. But for color, here is my 120 with only hydra leds fwiw this is right out of camera with only internal white balance:

IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

Wow!!

Schwabie33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My votes for hybrid, I believe they both are beneficial in the individual ways, if you go with one or the other 6 months from now you will be wanting to go back.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_7261.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

This makes me sick!! Lol, great job!

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATI coral plus and blue plus

These are the only two I could recommend for supplementation. Why? Because LEDs already provide excellent color and pop, one of their best features. You want the most PUR out of the bulbs so the corals can take the most advantage of each and every watt. My Kessil AP700s color matches the Blue Plus really well, maybe identical, so they complement each other really well. My tank looks amazing now with shimmer, pop, and now illuminated well with the T5s. Hybrid lighting systems are just the best, even if it's not LED/T5. Could be T5/LED, MH/LED, or MH/T5, point is more light, you get pros for both with out necessarily the cons.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 101 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back