Hardy tang species?

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I became interested in saltwater tanks I started being eagle-eyed at the fish store. Taking notes of species I liked that didn't seem to arrive healthy, seeing which fish died instead of getting sold ect so I could pick the hardiest species for my tank down the line. I have noticed that Tang's seem to be the most troubled group of fish out there, and if anyone is curious about the inverse I have yet to see a sickly looking triggerfish or moray eel.

I have seen a lot of display tanks in restaurants and fish stores, and I have noticed the tangs rarely look that good even when the other fish are doing fine. The species they have are usually Yellow or Hippo tangs though. Even on the forums I see no end of issues people encounter with many of their tangs.

So which tangs are actually hardy?
The Tangs I have yet to see a sick/messed up looking example of+ I have seen several of: Scopas, clown, mimic/chocolate, naso,sailfin, white-cheek(only seen 2), and kole. Are these the hardy tangs or is this just a fluke? Maybe another species I should add to this list?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Hardy" may not be the most applicable term. They can be ich magnets and they're dumber than a lamp post, but I find my tangs (I have 4) do well when I feed them well (this means ensuring plenty of algae as well as supplementing them with seaweed).

Right now I have a sailfin, powder brown, half black mimic and white bristletooth.

I am by no means a tang expert. @vetteguy53081 has a plethora of tangs in his tank and probably has significantly more advice on compatibility, etc.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting observation.

My own observation and care of them does not coincide with yours. While being caught, transported, and arriving to you is stressful on All fish, I've found tangs, who have been selected for health and vigor, do very well in the home aquarium.

Tangs are prone to a few nasties we can bring into our tanks, as other fish are.

I see dead or dying Wrasses in fish store tanks much much more and have a lot harder time getting them through a quarantine cycle.

I would say Picking the best (healthiest) specimen of the Tang you are looking to aquire is more important than what type of Tang it is.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When I became interested in saltwater tanks I started being eagle-eyed at the fish store. Taking notes of species I liked that didn't seem to arrive healthy, seeing which fish died instead of getting sold ect so I could pick the hardiest species for my tank down the line. I have noticed that Tang's seem to be the most troubled group of fish out there, and if anyone is curious about the inverse I have yet to see a sickly looking triggerfish or moray eel.

I have seen a lot of display tanks in restaurants and fish stores, and I have noticed the tangs rarely look that good even when the other fish are doing fine. The species they have are usually Yellow or Hippo tangs though. Even on the forums I see no end of issues people encounter with many of their tangs.

So which tangs are actually hardy?
The Tangs I have yet to see a sick/messed up looking example of+ I have seen several of: Scopas, clown, mimic/chocolate, naso,sailfin, white-cheek(only seen 2), and kole. Are these the hardy tangs or is this just a fluke? Maybe another species I should add to this list?
They for the most part are all hardy. Key is diet and type. While these are herbivores, they need meats also. Too many feeding nori and pellets and in turn- the obvious sunken stomachs, HLLE or dull coloration.
Sailfins grow fast and can be jerks as are Powder blue and purples.
My peaceful are Gem, convict, tomini, chocolate, Chevron and Vlamingi (gets huge)
Some foods to consider are:
LRS herbivore diet
Formula 2 flake and frozen
TDO Pellets
small plankton
Hikari Marine cuisine
Ocean nutrition veggie diet
spirulina brine shrimp
mysis shrimp
Prime reef
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract

Add selcon vitamins to foods occasionally

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that most tangs are pretty hardy. Some exceptions. Need good water quality and a good diet …. both of which are usually lacking in restaurant/mall tanks.

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo foxface are much hardier than tangs, never got any issue with them

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have being in hobby for 7 plus years, i have lost a lot of tangs in beginning due to poor decisions, bad water quality, parasites, or died in quarantine, since i got better at it i haven't lost a tang in last 4 years. anthias, chromis, copperband butterfly , those have being regular year or two fish(dies from unknown reasons), but not tangs. so in my opinion, once the quarantine protocol is established, your tank is fully cycled, id put them during ugly stage of the tank, tangs love to graze that "ugly" algae. after all that, there should be very minimal risk of anything to go wrong with the tangs. I cant say that for any other fish, not for the ones i got anyways.
just for reference, i got 1 achillies, 1 blue, 3 hawaii yellows, 2 purrple, 1 gem, and right now im finishing up quarantining 10'' blonde naso, so this one will got into same tank with other tangs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flatearth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since this post I have acquired many tangs for my 270 gallon!

I have a yellow mimic, djardini sailfin, naso tang, and a yellow belly regal tang. I got the big tank for the sake of puffers/triggers, but I suddenly caught the tang addiction instead. All my tangs are doing well, although the Naso arrived in terrible condition(ordered it online) I think he is coming around now.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is you saying you don't know what tangs Are Knowen to be hardy , I have to quoat a recent rtr post for you , POONTANG lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back