Harlequin shrimp pairing

  • Thread starter Thread starter kartrsu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kartrsu

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 20, 2019
Messages
874
Reaction score
580
Location
Glendale, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male in one tank and a pair in another tank (not sure if mates but they hang out together). I was thinking about moving the female from the pair and move with the male in the other tank but I’m not sure if they will get along. Anyone try to see if Harlequins can rebond once together?
 
I have a male in one tank and a pair in another tank (not sure if mates but they hang out together). I was thinking about moving the female from the pair and move with the male in the other tank but I’m not sure if they will get along. Anyone try to see if Harlequins can rebond once together?
If they are hanging out with each other, then they are mates. Non-mated harlequins are territorial.
 
I recently lost a male because the female wouldn't share its food with him.

In the past I have successfully paired them (even a hawaiian with a regular), but usually that's in a big system and then they bond over time. They don't outright kill each other or get territorial but the dominant one doesn't follow the other's actions and doesn't share as well with it, so you'll see them split up often or only one actually eating.

IME; they pair when both are adults, once they realize sex is nice they settle down together, but in the meantime give whole starfish so they both get opposite sides of the food, when one is able to fully cover the star (such as when feeding just a leg) the other sits to the side and waits their turn which never happens.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new