Harlequin shrimp pairing

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male in one tank and a pair in another tank (not sure if mates but they hang out together). I was thinking about moving the female from the pair and move with the male in the other tank but I’m not sure if they will get along. Anyone try to see if Harlequins can rebond once together?

kazeespada

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male in one tank and a pair in another tank (not sure if mates but they hang out together). I was thinking about moving the female from the pair and move with the male in the other tank but I’m not sure if they will get along. Anyone try to see if Harlequins can rebond once together?
If they are hanging out with each other, then they are mates. Non-mated harlequins are territorial.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently lost a male because the female wouldn't share its food with him.

In the past I have successfully paired them (even a hawaiian with a regular), but usually that's in a big system and then they bond over time. They don't outright kill each other or get territorial but the dominant one doesn't follow the other's actions and doesn't share as well with it, so you'll see them split up often or only one actually eating.

IME; they pair when both are adults, once they realize sex is nice they settle down together, but in the meantime give whole starfish so they both get opposite sides of the food, when one is able to fully cover the star (such as when feeding just a leg) the other sits to the side and waits their turn which never happens.

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back