HARLEQUIN TUSK PROBLEM

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I HAVE A 6 INCH TUSK I JUST PURCHASED FROM LIVEAQUARIA, IT DID WELL FOR THREE DAYS WAS EATING WELL, TODAY HE DID NOT EAT HE SEEMED A LITTLE LETHARGIC, HE WAS IN A 3O G QUARANTINE TANK, I DON'T BELIEVE THE PUNDITS WHO CLAIM A 30 G IS ENOUGH, THE FISH WAS NOT HAPPY I TRANSFERRED IT TO MY DISPLAY TANK, HE DOVE DOWN BEHIND A ROCK I CAN NOT FIND IT, HAS BEEN 4 HOURS STILL NO SIGHT, HOW LONG DO I WAIT BEFORE I START MOVING ROCKS TO FIND HIM

Robert_Popa_918

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a Harlequin Tusk but I’ve had a similar experience with my Royal Grammas. My guess is that it’s stressed out from all the recent changes. I’d say the best thing to do is to keep your hands out of the tank and start incorporating some meatier foods to entice it out. Reef Nutrition sells fish food in liquid format that helps out a ton when adding new shy fish. Although it can raise levels of nitrates and phosphates, the strong smell causes most carnivorous fish to find it irresistible.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps eating well in a 30 gal tank is the problem. Did you check your ammonia?
Regardless, stress him out more isn't going to help him survive better. Just leave him alone and hope for the best.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them for years. I guarantee he wasn't happy in a 30 gallon. He will need lots of room to swim.
Diving behind a rock is typical wrasse behavior. I wouldn't worry at the 4hr mark, I'd start to worry at the 4 DAY mark.
My guess is he'll be out and about sooner than later. Tusks are great fish with lots of personality

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HE should be fine but they are rather shy when first introduced...after 3 -5 days they usually start showing up more and more each day. What other tanmayes are there in the tank? If active swimmers and semi aggressive eaters and swimmers it might take a little longer. Once he gets over the initial acclimation, he will show his true personality day by day....

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a Harlequin Tusk but I’ve had a similar experience with my Royal Grammas. My guess is that it’s stressed out from all the recent changes. I’d say the best thing to do is to keep your hands out of the tank and start incorporating some meatier foods to entice it out. Reef Nutrition sells fish food in liquid format that helps out a ton when adding new shy fish. Although it can raise levels of nitrates and phosphates, the strong smell causes most carnivorous fish to find it irresistible.
YOU ARE QUITE CORRECT, I HELPED STRESS THE FISH , WHEN HE WAS IN MY 30 GALLO QUARANTINE TANK,IT SEEMED A LITTLE LETHARGIC, SO I KEPT POKING IN THE TANK TO MAKE HIM SWIM. I WAS STUPID.

I HAVE GOOD NEWS TO REPORT AS NIGHT APPROACHED IT CAME OUT AND IS NOW SWIMMING AROUND. THANKS FOR YOUR SOUND ADVICE

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps eating well in a 30 gal tank is the problem. Did you check your ammonia?
Regardless, stress him out more isn't going to help him survive better. Just leave him alone and hope for the best.
I DID NOT HELP THE SITUATION AS I KEPT POKING HIM TO SWIM. I KEEP A FEW SMALL FISH IN THE QUARANTINE TANK, NO PROBLEM WIT AMMONIA. THOSE WHO THINK A 30 GALLON QUARANTINE TANK IS ALRIGHT FOR A 6 INCH FISH ARE SADLY MISTAKING.

GOOD NEWS, I LEFT IT ALONE, THE MOON LIGHTS CAME ON AND NOW IT IS OUT SWIMMING. YOU ARE RIGHT I ACTED LIKE A FOOL. I LIKE THE HAREUIN SO MUCH I AALMOST KILLED IT. THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a harlequin tusk for a couple of years and they are sensitive fish, like you have found out. Sometimes they can go on a hunger strike for days. Best thing you can do is make sure not to stress him any further, keep pristine water quality, and offer food a couple of times per day. Do not get too stressed if he doesn't start eating right away.

They are beautiful fish with great personalities. The look more aggressive then they are. Mine definitely prefers lower nitrates, where as my clown trigger couldn't care less.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was definitely not happy in the 30g, but these guys are notorious for internal parasites, as well as as source. Since you had no time to treat, I would highly recommend dosing your food with your preferred method of tretment.

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have owned a harlequin tusk for a couple of years and they are sensitive fish, like you have found out. Sometimes they can go on a hunger strike for days. Best thing you can do is make sure not to stress him any further, keep pristine water quality, and offer food a couple of times per day. Do not get too stressed if he doesn't start eating right away.

They are beautiful fish with great personalities. The look more aggressive then they are. Mine definitely prefers lower nitrates, where as my clown trigger couldn't care less.
I APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE, I MUST TELL YOU I CAUSED THE FISH A LOT OF STRESS, HOWEVER DESPITE WHAT I DID, THE AUSSIE CAME OUT FOR A SWIM LAST NIGHT AND SEEMED TO ENJOY THE OTHER FISH, HE SEEMS TO LOVE TO GET IN THE CURRENT PRODUCED FROM MY POWER HEADS. TODAY THIS MORNING IT IS OUT AGAIN.

YOU ARE RIGHT THEY ARE A SPECIAL FISH, QUITE BEAUTIFUL AND WITH A PERSONALITY. THE BLUE TEETH MAKE THEM LOOK SO MEAN, HOWEVER THEY ARE GOOD CITIZENS.

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was definitely not happy in the 30g, but these guys are notorious for internal parasites, as well as as source. Since you had no time to treat, I would highly recommend dosing your food with your preferred method of tretment.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, I WILL WAIT UNTIL THE AUSSIE IS RECOVERED FROM THE TRIP, AND THEN TREAT WITH PRAZITOL, EXCUSE MY SPELLING.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I also recently introduced one to my 220 gallon system. He was swimming around a cave in a single corner for the first 2 days. He ate clams on a half shell. The 3rd day he started laying on a piece of GSP coral in the corner of the tank. If I drop a half shell clam he eats it. When the lights go down at night and in the early AM he swims around.

Its just the initial acclimation. I have read many stories where they look helpless and come to life 5-7 days in the tank.

He looks like he is at deaths door and when the lights get dim he starts swimming normally.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also recently introduced one to my 220 gallon system. He was swimming around a cave in a single corner for the first 2 days. He ate clams on a half shell. The 3rd day he started laying on a piece of GSP coral in the corner of the tank. If I drop a half shell clam he eats it. When the lights go down at night and in the early AM he swims around.

Its just the initial acclimation. I have read many stories where they look helpless and come to life 5-7 days in the tank.

He looks like he is at deaths door and when the lights get dim he starts swimming normally.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY, MY AUSSIE IS DOING BETTER I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE CLAMS, THIS IS MY SECOND AUSSIE IN TWO WEEKS IT CAME FROM LIVEAQUARIA, THE FIRST ONE MY LFS GOT ME AN AUSSIE FROM QUALITY MARINE, IT WAS CAPTURE WITH CYANIDE, I WROTE TO QUALITY MARINE TOLD THEM WHAT HAPPENED AND I FELT THEY SHOULD CREDIT MY LFS, NEVER REPLIED, THEY COULD GIVE A BIG **** ABOUT THE CUSTOMER QUALITY MARINE ARE LOW LIFE'S, DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT, DON.T CARE IF CYANIDE IS USED. MY LFS REFUNDED MY MONEY AND ATE THE LOSS

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very humble request, please turn the caps lock off.
SORRY I HAVE HAD A STROKE, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN CAPS AND LOWER CASE, SO I USE CAPS IT LOOKS BETTER ESPECIALLY THE i. I GET THE SAME THING ON FACEBOOK, AS THEY SAY I AM YELLING. I CAN ONLY SAY, WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA IS AN IDIOT, AND INSENSITIVE TO THE DISABLED. UNFORTUNATELY MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SHEEP AND THEY FOLLOW.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SORRY I HAVE HAD A STROKE, IT IS VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME TO SWITCH BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN CAPS AND LOWER CASE, SO I USE CAPS IT LOOKS BETTER ESPECIALLY THE i. I GET THE SAME THING ON FACEBOOK, AS THEY SAY I AM YELLING. I CAN ONLY SAY, WHOEVER CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA IS AN IDIOT, AND INSENSITIVE TO THE DISABLED. UNFORTUNATELY MOST PEOPLE ARE LIKE SHEEP AND THEY FOLLOW.

Sorry about the health issues, hope you are recovering well. No crime in using all caps, especially if it makes communicating easier.

OP
OP
S

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the health issues, hope you are recovering well. No crime in using all caps, especially if it makes communicating easier.
THANK YOU HALAL, THERE IS NO WAY YOU COULD HAVE KNOWN, I HAD THE STROKE 7 YEARS AGO, I AM MUCH BETTER NOW, IT AFFECTED MY SPEECH, THROUGH THERAPY IT IS NORMAL NOW, I HAVE LOST DEXTERITY WHICH CAUSES ME PROBLEMS, LIKE TYPING ETC, WORST OF ALL I CAN NO LONGER DRIVE, THE STROKE AFFECTS THE COORDINATION BETWEEN THE EYES AND BRAIN, WHEN IT CAME TO DRIVING I THINK I SEE SOMETHING BUT IT REALLY DOES NOT EXIST. I CAN NOT NEGOTIATE THE DIVING LANES AND KEEP THE CAR ON THE ROAD, MY WIFE NOW HAS TO DRIVE US. TAKE CARE MY FRIEND. BE SAFE

Back