Harlequin tusk with small fish???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cassian
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
2,389
Reaction score
1,710
Location
MO
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I ordered a harlequin tusk today (so not too late to cancel) and I know they have mixed reviews with small fish. Is it a bad idea to add this fish with my firefish, chromis, 3” wrasses and 2” clowns???? I have blue throat triggers in the tank and I have no problems at all, and I was told small fish could be eaten by them. Please let me know if I should not add the tusk!

#harlequintusk
#reefsqaud
 
Last edited:
The Tusk will raise havoc if you have snails and small inverts, it shouldn't bother your other fish.
 
The Tusk will raise havoc if you have snails and small inverts, it shouldn't bother your other fish.

Thanks for the info! I already have a moray eel so inverts are goners anyway. :D
 
Most of the tusks I encountered while working at a fish store, would readily eat fish. Often we would use feeder goldfish to get them to start eating (not a very good practice, but effective and the store owner was very old school) They would grab onto fish larger than they could fit in their mouth, and bash them against rocks until dead. Seen this with not only feeder goldfish but damsels, other wrasses, and gobies. Some people are fine keeping them with small fish but some individuals are totally not safe with small fish. Then again the same small
fish would likely be in danger of a Moray.
 
I had to get rid of mine to attacking ( and eating ) the smaller fish in my tank
 
Ok, so I ordered a harlequin tusk today (so not too late to cancel) and I know they have mixed reviews with small fish. Is it a bad idea to add this fish with my firefish, chromis, 3” wrasses and 2” clowns???? I have blue throat triggers in the tank and I have no problems at all, and I was told small fish could be eaten by them. Please let me know if I should not add the tusk!

#harlequintusk
#reefsqaud
First of all one of my favorites especially from Australia. If he’s small he might be ok for a while but once he settles in the small fish will be in trouble.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new