Harlequin tusk

Jeff1989

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi was interested in getting a harlequin tusk but reading mixed reviews on them have some smaller fish like clowns and chromis will he eat all of them or be ok with them some people say it will be ok and some say no trying to figuer out what's correct

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General information

It grows big - 30 cm - 11 " and it lives on prey but not primary on other fishes. But a large fish, that´s not a vegetarian, will eat smaller fish - if they get the opportunity to do so

Sincerely Lasse

Dodgersfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I’ve never kept one, but I am planning a tank around one down the road, so I’ve done a bunch of research on them, in general faster more boisterous small fish will have a better chance of evading him, but the fish aren’t the first thing he’s going to go for if the fish food isn’t keeping him full... don’t keep any expensive inverts... but if you have a bunch of hermits and snails (preferably types that’ll reproduce in your tank) he’s much more likely to go for those first. It’s a c**p shoot with fish though, there’s no telling what is going to look the most tasty to a particular fish, just because the species as a whole tends to go one way doesn’t mean you won’t get the one fish that doesnt follow the stereotype... just try to keep most of his tank mates at least half his size, if you’re going to get any Little fish stay away from the slow, shy and timid types. That’s my plan anyway.

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 4-5 inches in my 180 gallon. Doesnt touch snails or anything that were already there, ate some hermit crabs, harrasses new wrasses for a day or so then they are good. A full grown tusk might eat smaller fish.

Tankguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 180 and it doesn’t bother the smaller wrasse or other fish at all. I do keep my tank well fed

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will normally eat inverts....also often will not tolerate any new fish additions. I had to remove both of mine due to fish aggression to anything I tried adding after the wrasse.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inverts are definitely not safe. Anything it can eat it may, but that’s true of most fish. If you like shrimp, crabs, and the like then you’ll want to pass.

As they grow they become increasingly predatory and aggressive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back