Stocking list

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Red Sea 3XL 900 G2 will be here in the next coming weeks. I’m trying to get my stocking list in order beforehand.

Ideally, I’d like to go with list 2.

List 1:
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis

List 2
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis
Guinea fowl puffer
Banana eel or dragon eel
Lyretail hogfish
Sabre squirrelfish

List 3
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Bi color angel
Queen angel
Emperor angel
Sohal tang
Guinea fowl puffer
Minautus grouper
Golden heart trigger
Clown trigger
Tessalata eel
Damperia grouper aka red dottyback

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Red Sea 3XL 900 G2 will be here in the next coming weeks. I’m trying to get my stocking list in order beforehand.

List 1:
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis

List 2
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis
Guinea fowl puffer
Banana eel or dragon eel
Lyretail hogfish
Sabre squirrelfish

List 3
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Bi color angel
Queen angel
Emperor angel
Sohal tang
Guinea fowl puffer
Minautus grouper
Golden heart trigger
Clown trigger
Tessalata eel
Shhheeeeessshhh! Congratulations! I’d love to see the build thread in that tank!! All three lists look like a dream.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 900 gallon???? The lists look super cool! Kinda looks like it might be a choice of fish with more movement or less movement. Cant really help with compatibility, I dont know much about a lot of the fish (rays, sharks, groupers ect) since my tank isnt big enough for those! Be sure to do a build thread!!

OTReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a 900 gallon???? The lists look super cool! Kinda looks like it might be a choice of fish with more movement or less movement. Cant really help with compatibility, I dont know much about a lot of the fish (rays, sharks, groupers ect) since my tank isnt big enough for those! Be sure to do a build thread!!
I feel the same. I haven’t gotten to the fish side of reef tanks so I don’t have a lot of knowledge on fish of this caliber. I feel the need for a build thread too though!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the same. I haven’t gotten to the fish side of reef tanks so I don’t have a lot of knowledge on fish of this caliber. I feel the need for a build thread too though!
Ive got fish, focus more on them than corals. But this tank is going to be so cool!! Very cool fish. @lion king @vetteguy53081 @Slocke @Jay Hemdal might be good people to chime in with their different expertise!

DrkNMighty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought this was a 900 liter tank not 900 gallons?? Which is around 240 gallons total. Am I wrong?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to disappoint, haha, it’s only a 240 gallon. About 80” by 26” by 26”
Ah okay, the sharks you have listed both seem to have minimum tank sizes as 360 gallons from a quick search. Others who have them would know better than me but everything I saw said that was the minimum for one of the sharks, grouper and sting ray also list minimum tank sizes around there too from what I saw. Hopefully someone who has these fish will comment here to be of better help!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of those options are going to be too big for even a 240 gallon tank. You also need to consider filtration. You’re talking sharks rays and puffers that produce an insane amount of waste. Some of the other options are bad choices just because of sheer aggression such as the tessalata the sohal tang and possibly the clown trigger and golden heart. You can make a few of them work. The husk are great fish I have one in my 360 gallon FOWLR. The zebra eel is a much better choice and far safer with fish than the tessalata. The two large angels may be ok for space but get aggressive as they grow I have both in my tank and let me tell that queen angel is a terrorist lol. It killed a scribbled mapa puffer. The other issue you will have to contend with is having so many different fish with different diets and trying to accommodate them in the same system it can be a challenge. It’s PITA trying to feed my zebra moray with a stick with faster more aggressive fish trying to steal his food just as an example. As I said you can make some of them work but I would definitely take the rays and sharks and the sohal tang and most likely the tessalata off the list at a minimum.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

List 1:
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis

List 2
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Achilles tang
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Epaulette shark
Coral cat shark
Blue dot ray
Chromis
Guinea fowl puffer
Banana eel or dragon eel
Lyretail hogfish
Sabre squirrelfish

List 3
Threadfin snapper
Harlequin tusk
Zebra eel
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Polleni grouper
Bi color angel
Queen angel
Emperor angel
Sohal tang
Guinea fowl puffer
Minautus grouper
Golden heart trigger
Clown trigger
Tessalata eel

Hi, those are impressive lists, but that tank only holds about 200 gallons, so it too small for many of those fish in those quantities. You won't be able to keep the ray or sharks in that small of a tank long term. Threadfin snappers also get huge (two feet long). Some of the fish you have matched up are also not very compatible.
Here is what I would be looking at

Harlequin tusk
Blue throat trigger
Magnificent foxface
Lyretail hogfish
Sabre squirrelfish
Banana eel
Bi color angel
Emperor angel

Jay

OP
OP
F

fishguy777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few of those options are going to be too big for even a 240 gallon tank. You also need to consider filtration. You’re talking sharks rays and puffers that produce an insane amount of waste. Some of the other options are bad choices just because of sheer aggression such as the tessalata the sohal tang and possibly the clown trigger and golden heart. You can make a few of them work. The husk are great fish I have one in my 360 gallon FOWLR. The zebra eel is a much better choice and far safer with fish than the tessalata. The two large angels may be ok for space but get aggressive as they grow I have both in my tank and let me tell that queen angel is a terrorist lol. It killed a scribbled mapa puffer. The other issue you will have to contend with is having so many different fish with different diets and trying to accommodate them in the same system it can be a challenge. It’s PITA trying to feed my zebra moray with a stick with faster more aggressive fish trying to steal his food just as an example. As I said you can make some of them work but I would definitely take the rays and sharks and the sohal tang and most likely the tessalata off the list at a minimum.
For filtration, I have a simplicity 800 DC, and the 4 4inch filter socks that come in the sump.

I forgot to add that I already have a lot of the fish on the list. I already have:
Theadfin snapper, zebra eel, the foxface, blue throat trigger, polleni grouper. So they have to go in the new tank.

And for the shark and ray, how big of a tank would they need? I thought they would be fine, as the epaulette gets to about 30” in captivity, coral cat 24”, and the stingray I’ve seen in 180’s before.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For filtration, I have a simplicity 800 DC, and the 4 4inch filter socks that come in the sump.

I forgot to add that I already have a lot of the fish on the list. I already have:
Theadfin snapper, zebra eel, the foxface, blue throat trigger, polleni grouper. So they have to go in the new tank.

And for the shark and ray, how big of a tank would they need? I thought they would be fine, as the epaulette gets to about 30” in captivity, coral cat 24”, and the stingray I’ve seen in 180’s before.
That’s definitely a good sized skimmer for your purposes and most of the fish you have should be fine. Not sure about the snapper I hear they get huge! As far as sharks and rays this subject has been beaten to death on here and various other forums. Hopefully one of the shark keepers on here will chime in to give you better advice than I can provide but I would say you’re still pushing your luck with that size of tank. Also you mention a blue dot ray which are almost impossible to keep even in very large systems and I’ve read that even expert hobbyists will have them die randomly with no warning signs. The coral cat does stay smaller than other available shark species available to hobbyists but that’s still a two foot animal in a tank that’s barely as wide at it is. If you still insist on trying the shark and ray I would say definitely skip any triggers or puffers or angels as they will harass the sharks and rays another subject that has been documented on various forums. Also even with that large skimmer due to the smaller tank size I think you’re committing yourself to large water changes every week or another forum of filtration such as a turf scrubber to keep up with nitrates. Again this is just my two cents. I have a 8x3x2 360 gallon FOWLR and always wanted sharks and rays but after a lot of research my gut says even my system is inadequate for these animals. I decided to stick with angels triggers and eels etc and it’s been much easier to manage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back