Has anyone drilled a RedSea Reefer?

Schpample

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, brand new here, working on fun peninsula build/retrofit on a RS Reefer 300 XL, check out my build thread for more details if you're curious. Has anyone drilled any holes in a RS Reefer? I emailed RS a couple days ago to verify that the glass is not tempered, no reply yet. Submitted a support ticket this morning with the same question, but I'm getting antsy to keep building. Of course antsy doesn't trump safe... so I need to be REALLY sure its not tempered before attempting to drill. Hoping someone here might have already tried it.

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the polarized glasses and computer screen trick? Google it.

Used it to determine if my tank was tempered or not.

OP
OP
Schpample

Schpample

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks P-Dub! I tried this test last night using an LCD thermometer and my polarized sunglasses. One known piece of tempered glass did in fact remove the black-out effect when placed between the glasses and thermometer, pretty much completely. None of the glass on the Reefer did!

Better yet though, I heard back from RedSea this morning that there is no tempered glass in my tank, so I'm off to the races tonight! :D

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here for you and happy RS got back to you.

OP
OP
Schpample

Schpample

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a minute now, but for posterity: Red sea reefer tanks are perfectly drillable! My reefer 300 XL mini-pen conversion is complete and a few days into cycling! More deets on the build in my build thread, but staying on topic here, drilling just took a bit of patience and a few tools: cordless drill, diamond hole-saw, and 90-deg drill guide, all attainable from your local hardware store.

PXL_20201010_191129766.MP.jpg
PXL_20201010_202247564.MP.jpg
PXL_20201011_000936115.MP.jpg

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back