Has anyone else given up on chromis this year?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 30, 2020
Messages
1,173
Reaction score
826
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a few time but some good looking chromis. Put them in qt and within a week they start dying of uronema. Gave up after a few tries. So the Brand new 30g qt setup with two hob bio wheel 170s and live rock and all the goods. Buy 3. Bring them home. After two weeks a red dot shows and few days later one dies. Today at lfs. Beautiful school of them in there light all looked great. Bought two brought them home. In qt observed and low and behold a I see the dot! I guess it’s not for me this year. Ps. They eat like mad and swim amazing but the uronema wins at the end. Why do I want a school of these so bad?
 
Because when you get the final school of chromis, it is a beautiful sight and the tank is lively. ;)

It can be tough to get an established school. Personally I have 8 in a school and been going strong just over 2 years now (knocking on wood as this was typed).

Some don't bother, but I just like their color and liveliness. Best of luck and hope you get that school.
 
Do you tear down your QT in between uses? Because uronema can survive in the tank without a host indefinitely. It might be possible that one of your original purchases had it, then it's just been living in your QT and infecting every new chromis you get. If you treat your QT with copper or anything it's probably less likely, but it is a hardy organism.
 
Do you tear down your QT in between uses? Because uronema can survive in the tank without a host indefinitely. It might be possible that one of your original purchases had it, then it's just been living in your QT and infecting every new chromis you get. If you treat your QT with copper or anything it's probably less likely, but it is a hardy organism.
+1 Clorox time
 
Guys I started with a brand new qt setup. Nothing had been in there before when I started and the first 3 chromis I added. One got it and died. I also have a silver belly wrasse in there that’s doing great
 
i had 2 large fiji chromis 2 weeks ago both of them had uronem and died had to sterilize that QT
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new