Has anyone else given up on chromis this year?

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried a few time but some good looking chromis. Put them in qt and within a week they start dying of uronema. Gave up after a few tries. So the Brand new 30g qt setup with two hob bio wheel 170s and live rock and all the goods. Buy 3. Bring them home. After two weeks a red dot shows and few days later one dies. Today at lfs. Beautiful school of them in there light all looked great. Bought two brought them home. In qt observed and low and behold a I see the dot! I guess it’s not for me this year. Ps. They eat like mad and swim amazing but the uronema wins at the end. Why do I want a school of these so bad?

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because when you get the final school of chromis, it is a beautiful sight and the tank is lively. ;)

It can be tough to get an established school. Personally I have 8 in a school and been going strong just over 2 years now (knocking on wood as this was typed).

Some don't bother, but I just like their color and liveliness. Best of luck and hope you get that school.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you tear down your QT in between uses? Because uronema can survive in the tank without a host indefinitely. It might be possible that one of your original purchases had it, then it's just been living in your QT and infecting every new chromis you get. If you treat your QT with copper or anything it's probably less likely, but it is a hardy organism.

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you tear down your QT in between uses? Because uronema can survive in the tank without a host indefinitely. It might be possible that one of your original purchases had it, then it's just been living in your QT and infecting every new chromis you get. If you treat your QT with copper or anything it's probably less likely, but it is a hardy organism.
+1 Clorox time

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I started with a brand new qt setup. Nothing had been in there before when I started and the first 3 chromis I added. One got it and died. I also have a silver belly wrasse in there that’s doing great

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back