Has anyone ever bought pods online?

Feet Pixel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent ten years away from the hobby. I come back and all the live rock is manmade now.. Luckily i still had 40 lbs of authentic fiji rock, but BOY do i miss all the life that came with live rock. That was half the fun of setting a tank up.

I don't have any pods in my tank. How can i get pods? I've done a quick google search, they're spendier than I anticipated so I don't want to waste my money- has anyone ever bought pods online with positive results? Where did you buy them?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I get mine from reefer here on Reef2reef. awesome pods , well packed and with thermo insulation for packages. all pods was alive and active when it arrived in my mailbox.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with dry rock and dry sand and never bought one pod.
My sand and rock covered in maybe 8 different pods that I noticed,just from buying coral frags ^_^
So for me I won't be buying any pods anytime soon.
All coral frags get coral dipped but still they get through and got a couple fish that actively hunt pods.
Tank about 14 months old but had same pods since at most 6 months into the tank,keep getting other little critters to,sea slugs,flatworms, possible eunice worms, mini bristleworms .
Could set up a hitch hiker critter I'd just from critters in my tank ha ha

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a handful of Cheato from my LFS 17 months ago and I have never had to by pods after that. My mandarin is really healthy.
Yesterday I cleaned off my glass and the glass was covered in pods.
I initially bought one order of tiger pods and they were eaten by my fish in minutes.
If you have a friend who has chaeto, get a fistful from him.

Pods are definitely something you only need to get once if you have a large enough tank.

Good luck.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can still find real live rock from tank tear downs at local fish stores or Craigslist. Or order some Florida rock.

I would use some actual live rock to seed your tank. It’ll make start up way easier!

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monthly subscription to Algae barn and I couldn’t be happier. I buy 4 jars and get a 5th for free, they also will replace your pods IF they come dead. Hasn’t happened to me since they always get here well and ready to be feasted on by everyone in the tank.

Last edited:

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monthly subscription to Algae barn and I couldn’t be happier. I buy 4 jars and get a 5th for free, they also will replace your pods IF they come dead. Hasn’t happened to me since they always get here we’ll and ready to be feasted on by everyone in the tank.
Which ones do you get?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i’ve got tan ecopods from algae barn on many occasions. may give their galaxy pods a try soon
would like to add that reef cleaners sells pods as well. i bought an order from them and i have a huge population of amphipods

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back