Has anyone ever had a piece of elegance coral that has let go of the skeleton grow?

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a huge elegance that I have had for years just start coming apart. I cut the pieces that were letting go of the skeleton off to try to save it and lukily two separate pieces lived so now I have two from that one. But one of the pieces that let go of the skeleton that I cut off has lived for a couple of months so far and it is getting bigger and growing mouths. It hasnt grown a skeleton yet though so Im wondering what will happen. Any Ideas or help?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral doing this is not a great sign. It called polyp bail out. There are several reasons infection , coral not getting the elements it needs to grow properly.
Generally the section that comes loose will die. As is not Anchored To the skeleton any more which holds it in place.

OP
OP
James w Lewis

James w Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is not a good thing but what I am saying is that the piece that came loose from the skeleton has lived for over a month and it is growing and looking like a tiny elegance. It has mouths and expands and contracts but it doesnt seem to be growing another skeleton.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back