Plate coral ID

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@encrustingacro I agree about Veron and the resistance towards genetic testing and it has been a new world since then and the lack of funding involved means that this is still the early stages of a complete reorganization of the taxonomy. I wonder about the possibility of convergent evolution in some cases as well. I spend so much time doing other things because I work from home and that means I’m always at work on the rooms or taking care of my other animals. My light schedules are on overnight and I’m a nocturnal creature anyhow so I live a Vampire’s life.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phew I'm way over my head with this conversation at this point :grinning-face-with-sweat: but I'm enjoying it.

I do have another question for ya'll regarding my mew plate coral if you don't mind! I've never kept one before, and I'm doing as much research as I can... I guess I wanted to ask if there's anything I need to keep an eye out for with its recovery. How long is too long before the polyps come start coming out? Thanks!

Ps. @RockBox13 that corals of the world book sounds like a great thing to have around, but looking online I see a few different results with similar names, do you know the author of the one you have? :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Don’t sweat it if you’re not familiar with anything, just ask and I don’t mind explaining or directing you to good sources of information. Corals of the World is outdated, but it’s like my baby blanket or something. It’s also my pacifier because I can get lost in it looking at more obscure stuff and then take that to the internet. I get frustrated sometimes with doing research on the internet or comparing corals looking for differences in 15 open tabs where as a book I can flip through quickly and my hands already know where to go for everything. Just feel free to ask about anything and I want to see you bring that Cycloseris costae! back to it’s beautiful best.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

I dunno, and at this point I'm too afraid to ask
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll post some updates on here as it fleshes out! Appreciate all the help and support.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Fungia sp. coral (a Plate coral). Genus name is Fungia, I am not able to ID it to the species level.
It need low light and low current. Feeding is great right now to help it recover. small food like small pellets or small frozen like Mysis or finely chopped shrimps or other seafood.
Keep us update. Hope it recover some color in the last 2-3 weeks.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Fungia sp. coral (a Plate coral). Genus name is Fungia, I am not able to ID it to the species level.
It need low light and low current. Feeding is great right now to help it recover. small food like small pellets or small frozen like Mysis or finely chopped shrimps or other seafood.
Keep us update. Hope it recover some color in the last 2-3 weeks.
How come you think it's fungia? Fungia has visible triangular septal teeth and does not have thick, exert septa. Fungia also usually has a flat corallum, not helmet-shaped one. The coloration is also different; Fungia is light brown with purple splotches.
Fungia fungites | New Caledonia | Damien Brouste
1709489473286.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@encrustingacro
I am not an expert in ID these plated corals. They should have about the same level of care required.
Will see when it is healthier. You likely going to be more right than I since you seem to know more about this class of corals than I.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the plate! Honestly nothing much has changed. It did move itself a tiny bit out of the overhang I had it under after about a week, but nothing else has changed color or otherwise. The polyps still haven't come out, but they aren't just green dots anymore, they have slight protrudence if looked at from the side. Just a tiny Lil blip up. Isn't doing any worse I guess but it also isn't looking much better...

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been piping either reef roids, rotifers, or mysis maybe twice or three times a week. Mostly using the if it's mouth is open and it's not pooping, feed it rule.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How come you think it's fungia? Fungia has visible triangular septal teeth and does not have thick, exert septa. Fungia also usually has a flat corallum, not helmet-shaped one. The coloration is also different; Fungia is light brown with purple splotches.
Fungia fungites | New Caledonia | Damien Brouste
1709489473286.png
I did not know much about Plate Corals other than the OP did not have a Helifungii and you got me here, so I pull out my outdated J.E.N. Vernon: Corals of Australia and the Indo-Pacific. Sure enough, you are right. It certainly a Cycloseris sp. Most likely C. cyclolites since the skeleton looks similar and according to Vernon it is the most common by far or C. patelliformis.
@SlasherZ
Can you get a top-down picture, and a profile picture of the corals . This would help a lot in ID the coral.
It just out of interest, since all of them require the same condition anyway.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000014314.jpg
1000014315.jpg

@OrionN top and profile. Sorry they're not great pics... I tried :grinning-face-with-sweat:

One thing I've noticed, not sure if it's important to ID, one of the ridges is significantly higher than all the rest.

RockBox13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000014314.jpg
1000014315.jpg

@OrionN top and profile. Sorry they're not great pics... I tried :grinning-face-with-sweat:

One thing I've noticed, not sure if it's important to ID, one of the ridges is significantly higher than all the rest.
I like the sunglasses filter. Just keep feeding it and hopefully it can get some of the symbiotic algae back into the flesh. I can’t remember if you said that you have another fungia/cyclo? It’s possible that could help this one get the zooxanthellae back if it happens to expel some from time to time. I don’t have any experience dosing zooxanthellae, but it’s out there.

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a bit of an update, today I noticed two things with the plate coral! The first is slightly worrying, one of the ridges has a slightly green tinge to to the top of it like an algea has started growing.

However it also looks like it's got some meat/flesh growing back out possibly?

I've moved it into my larger tank and it's a bit harder to get a picture of but here's the best I can do.

1000014479.jpg

1000014477.jpg

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sunglasses filter. Just keep feeding it and hopefully it can get some of the symbiotic algae back into the flesh. I can’t remember if you said that you have another fungia/cyclo? It’s possible that could help this one get the zooxanthellae back if it happens to expel some from time to time. I don’t have any experience dosing zooxanthellae, but it’s out there.
Sorry, thought I replied to this a while ago!

Thank you, I actually got the glasses from my secret Santa on the R2R secret Santa last year! They've come in handy for pictures or shopping at the LFS or just chilling watching my tank.

I don't have any other plate corals in any of my tanks, no. I did have a carpet anemone spit out some zooxanthellae out not far from it... Not sure if it's contributing to its possible recovery or not! Those recent pictures show that it looks like it's improving though? Maybe?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, thought I replied to this a while ago!

Thank you, I actually got the glasses from my secret Santa on the R2R secret Santa last year! They've come in handy for pictures or shopping at the LFS or just chilling watching my tank.

I don't have any other plate corals in any of my tanks, no. I did have a carpet anemone spit out some zooxanthellae out not far from it... Not sure if it's contributing to its possible recovery or not! Those recent pictures show that it looks like it's improving though? Maybe?
Yh definitely looks like it's improving. Very interested to see what it will look like when fully recovered!

OP
OP
SlasherZ

SlasherZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yh definitely looks like it's improving. Very interested to see what it will look like when fully recovered!
That's great to hear! I'm glad someone else thinks so as well. Stoked to see this guy happy and colorful and solve the mystery

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great to hear! I'm glad someone else thinks so as well. Stoked to see this guy happy and colorful and solve the mystery
From what I've read if a coral of any sort has had a bad run with lack of light being one of the issues it can take sometimes months to recover so it's just a waiting game but that's the hobby, patience is our friend!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back