Has anyone ever seen a scoly do this...

Andre Arnold

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 24, 2018
Messages
102
Reaction score
101
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not seem to be affected by it... It still eats like normal.
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190708171443664_COVER.jpeg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190708171500994_COVER.jpeg
 
Interesting; are you sure it is a scoly? I've got several and have never seen this kind of form/behavior.
 
Interesting; are you sure it is a scoly? I've got several and have never seen this kind of form/behavior.
Yeah I have 3 right now. It's a Croc Island Scoly. I've had it for almost a year. This just happened recently....
 
Just a guess, but it may be getting too much light and flattening itself. I have a croc island with similar coloration in a shaded overhang and it stays nice and puffy. I feed my scolys once a week
 
Is it possibly budding? Are you able to see if the bump has its own feeding tentacles?
To my knowledge, scolys reproduce sexually. They don’t bud or split. They can be fragged but don’t split naturally. They release sperm/eggs in the water in nature.
 
Just a guess, but it may be getting too much light and flattening itself. I have a croc island with similar coloration in a shaded overhang and it stays nice and puffy. I feed my scolys once a week
I hear what you are saying, but wouldn't the others near it be affected in the same way?
 
I hear what you are saying, but wouldn't the others near it be affected in the same way?
Not necessarily. Similar corals or frags from same mother colony die and/or thrive in the same location sometimes. Corals are finicky animals. That’s why I said “just a guess”.
 
Not necessarily. Similar corals or frags from same mother colony die and/or thrive in the same location sometimes. Corals are finicky animals. That’s why I said “just a guess”.
I'm guessing with you.... I just fed them and noticed my cleaner shrimp pull food from its mount... Just wanted to add that too the information pool...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new