Has anyone ever used a bio wheel as an algae scrubber?

Udle42

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if any of you have tried it. I am just wanting some opinions on whether you think it's a good or bad idea.

poolkeeper1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you know if it was working.
All that's needed for it to work is Nutrients in the water a light source and a place for algae to grow and be harvested on a regular basis. This is a simple method to keep Algae from growing in your display by giving it an alternate place to flourish.
A biowheel IMO is not a ideal place though, A simple window screen with a light and water flowing over it would work better.
Bill

angrycubano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mo area means mo better. +1 with Chris in that you would need larger area to see any benefits.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suprised no one mentioned my name lol the screen on a bio wheels doesn't have anything for the algae to hold onto so it would just fall off and go to your tank. The best material is plastic knitting canvas roughed up with spurs sticking out of it for algae to hang onto. If you would like to see one in action shoot me a txt its my main filtration for my 2 tanks. Also I can answer questions better that way or also check out algaescrubber.net for all the info you probly need on the subject

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back