OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 blue/green chromis in a 40 gallon breeder. They get along fine -- have had them since mid January 2018.
What other fish do you have in there with them? I’m trying to figure out how many I could add

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 blue/green chromis for years. Great fish they don’t bother anyone in the tank. And are super hardy Fish. I love having them. They’re always out swimming around until the lights start to dim.
Those guys are in the running. I’d just feel bad only getting one since they like to shoal

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two as my first two fish in my 75. Good eaters friendly mostly to all others I added.
Ate well (anything) and grew like weeds. Lost them and others to velvet a month or so back. I have pics of them on my Build thread if interested. I really enjoyed them

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 225 with many other fish including Tangs, Firefish and clowns. I ordered 3 from DD but 2 were injured in shipping so I was only left wit the one. It is an active fish staying up in the upper part of tank and always on the move. In my opinion much better looking fish than the Blue/Green.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ChuckKSU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with crabs and brew. My experience was with the Blue Reef Chromis (Chromis cyanea) <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromis_cyanea>, starting with 5 and ending up with 1, the more dominant ones killing off the weaker/smaller ones. I found this post that might indicate what one needs for success, namely, a LOT of space/gallons, and some more dominant and aggressive species. Also mentioned is frequent feedings. More than one, particularly in a 30 gallon tank, may just be throwing money away.

"I have also kept 8 blue reef chromis in a group for over a year in a 150 gallon Caribbean biotope. They were also not too much trouble after I got them over the initial die off. Looking back I think 2 things played a big role in keeping the peace. First off the chromis were never the dominant fish in the tanks. With the green chromis they were always kept with large aggressive clowns. With the blues they were housed with a pair of queen angels.
Second is multiple small feelings a day. I think a hungry chromis is an angry chromis. "

<http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2446556>

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried keeping them on two occasions unsuccessfully. The second time an ich outbreak killed most of my tank. They seem much more delicate than regular blue/green chromis and do get much larger.

As to a few comments about blue spot jawfish... I'm glad to see them not recommended more often as they are a fish with very specific requirements and usually ends up dying. Tight lid, cooler water, peaceful tankmates etc etc

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother with the green chromis anymore. Not a particularly attractive fish, usually whittle themselves down to a single individual, and are frequent carriers of uronema - which you DO NOT want in your tank. I'm a fan of the yellow tail damsels (have 36 in my tank) or the azures.

36? Wow — pic!!!!!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with the post that ChuckKSU found. I have seven Blue/Green Chromis in my tank. The display area is 120 gallon, 36" deep cube so there is plenty of swimming area for them. They all school together mid water column and don't pick on each other. They get fed 2-3 times a day. Maybe I'm just imagining this but I don't think they have time to mess with each other as my male Lyretail Anthias loves to constantly coral them in the middle. Like an Australian Shepard and a herd of sheep, never bites them but keeps them moving.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd have to agree with the post that ChuckKSU found. I have seven Blue/Green Chromis in my tank. The display area is 120 gallon, 36" deep cube so there is plenty of swimming area for them. They all school together mid water column and don't pick on each other. They get fed 2-3 times a day. Maybe I'm just imagining this but I don't think they have time to mess with each other as my male Lyretail Anthias loves to constantly coral them in the middle. Like an Australian Shepard and a herd of sheep, never bites them but keeps them moving.
Nope, it makes sense. Chromis are shoaling fish, not schooling fish. The big difference (for those word lawyers out there) is that shoaling fish only swim together for protection, schooling fish always swim together. My belief is that when there is a potential threat, they appreciate the strength in numbers. When things are peaceful, they see each other as competition for food.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome guys thanks for the advice! After looking into the Blue spot jawfish, I don't think it'll thrive in my tank being that it's probably too warm in there for him. If I end up going with a chromis, I'll probably just get one so I don't have to worry about them picking each other off in my 32. This has been super helpful and I've learned a lot more than I knew before!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could look at a blue gudgeon or a sunrise dottyback. Though their blue isn’t quite as rich as the yellowtail damsels.
I forgot t mention I got an Orchid Dottyback a few days ago so no more dottybacks for my cube. The blue gudgeon is an interesting idea though! Might have to do a little research on that guy

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always get a springeri damsel, very peaceful
Probably going to go the damsel or chromis route! Just want to wait for my little clowns to get a little bigger just in case someone decides to pick a fight ahah

Back