Has anyone kept Blue Reef Chromis?

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience keeping Blue Reef Chromis? I'm looking for a blue fish for my 32 gallon cube so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Can these fish live on their own? Or do I need to get 2 or 3 of them?

Thank you!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept blue/green chromis at one point in time. Started out with three, and eventually ended up with one. They tend to beat up on each other until there is one left. Just my experience.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey #reefsquad! I was wondering if anyone has had any experience keeping Blue Reef Chromis? I'm looking for a blue fish for my 32 gallon cube so if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them! Can these fish live on their own? Or do I need to get 2 or 3 of them?

Thank you!!
I also agree that you are better off just getting one.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept blue/green chromis at one point in time. Started out with three, and eventually ended up with one. They tend to beat up on each other until there is one left. Just my experience.
It's worth pointing out that the blue reef chromis and blue/green chromis are two different fish.

The blue reef chromis is a stunning fish and I have kept it alone in a smaller tank successfully. LiveAquaria list minimum size as a 30 gallon, so it should be well suited to your tank as long as you practice decent husbandry.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 blue/green chromis, they are a spunky lot that adds a lot of color and movement to the tank.

Multiple feedings a day appears to be decreasing aggression among the group.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth pointing out that the blue reef chromis and blue/green chromis are two different fish.

The blue reef chromis is a stunning fish and I have kept it alone in a smaller tank successfully. LiveAquaria list minimum size as a 30 gallon, so it should be well suited to your tank as long as you practice decent husbandry.
Is it not he same fish (chromis) just different color varation? Or are they actually different sub species? I assumed it was like the difference between an Ocellaris Clownfish and a True Percula Clownfish, Both are Clownfish

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it not he same fish (chromis) just different color varation? Or are they actually different sub species? I assumed it was like the difference between an Ocellaris Clownfish and a True Percula Clownfish, Both are Clownfish
I guess you can look at it that way, but I would consider Ocellaris to be a different fish than a Percula.

The Blue Reef Chromis is Chromis Cyaneus. The Blue/Green Reef Chromis is Chromis

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can look at it that way, but I would consider Ocellaris to be a different fish than a Percula.

The Blue Reef Chromis is Chromis Cyaneus. The Blue/Green Reef Chromis is Chromis
Got it. Thanks :)

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good! Any other blue fish you can think that would fit in my tank?

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris and Percula clownfish are different species in the same genus. About as closely related as a wolf and a dingo.

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 caribbean blue chromis bought as a trio, 1 male and 2 females.
The were very aggressive at feeding time but otherwise did not bother any other fish.
The male's color was a deep shimmering blue and quite impressive under actinic lighting.

I eventually gifted them to a friend to make room as I added more wrasses to my tank.

I now have 5 blue/green chromis that have been fine together for 18 months.
The are great at clearing the water column of any leftover tiny particles at feeding time.
They seem more docile than the blue chromis and are smaller.

Having just one of either would be OK in a 32 gal cube.

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into those guys too. blue assessors are pretty also. And it’s a plus that they come captive bred!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow tailed damsels have been model citizens. They tend to be some of the least aggressive of the true damsels.
Really?! I'll look into those guys. It's hard to find that blue in other fish!

OP
OP
fishnchip

fishnchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 3 caribbean blue chromis bought as a trio, 1 male and 2 females.
The were very aggressive at feeding time but otherwise did not bother any other fish.
The male's color was a deep shimmering blue and quite impressive under actinic lighting.

I eventually gifted them to a friend to make room as I added more wrasses to my tank.

I now have 5 blue/green chromis that have been fine together for 18 months.
The are great at clearing the water column of any leftover tiny particles at feeding time.
They seem more docile than the blue chromis and are smaller.

Having just one of either would be OK in a 32 gal cube.
I like the blue/green chromis also. I just need to make a decision haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back