Has anyone tried bent pvc to hang lights?

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6ft tank but cant hang light from vaulted ceiling or to the walls. Im wanting to use a Pvc pipe , get it bent one one side of the tank and fastened to have that floating looks.

Woukd this be sturdy enough for two black bixes? And what size pvc do i need? Will a hair dryer work?

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use conduit instead of pvc (have done this on a few tanks). If you don’t have a pipe bender, you can get 90 degree fittings instead.

If you do want to bend the pvc, you will need a heat gun. It does give off toxic fumes so use in a well ventilated area. You can fill the pvc with sand to help stabilize it or you could make a jig out of wood to hold the correct curve. I don’t see the pvc being strong enough to hold the lights though.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used conduit it to...

They will bend it 90 degrees at Home depot for nothing they just grab a bender off the shelf..

I do not think PVC is not rigid enough and may eventually snap too...

afuel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the electrical schedule 80 elbow. It has a nice low arc. Weigh your light. Then go by Lowes are home depot and see what size you need. I have built kayak racks that held a lot more weight than a light. You might need to go up to 1 1/2. They make a spray paint for plastic that is textured. You will be surprised how strong and good it can look.

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a 90 degree fitting sturdy enough to prevent the conduit from sagging ? What size, thickness conduit do i need?
Oh wait if i were to use a 90 degrree fitting then i would have to cut the conduit. Got no money for a cutter :)

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always keep in mind that Harbor Freight sells things like benders for dirt cheap. I was hacksawing PVC as I didnt want a $30 tube cutter from Home Depot to only use about 10 times. Found one for $7 at HF and called it a day.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will a 90 degree fitting sturdy enough to prevent the conduit from sagging ? What size, thickness conduit do i need?
Oh wait if i were to use a 90 degrree fitting then i would have to cut the conduit. Got no money for a cutter :)

Yes, a fitting will hold. I used it for a few years.
I think it was 1/2” or 3/4” conduit.
And Lowe’s or Home Depot May cut it for free. If not, a basic cutter should be under $10.
But like someone above said, you may be able to quickly borrow/test a pipe bender in the store. Or just ask for a demonstration of how it works lol

OP
OP
D

DrewBrees713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to my local HD just now. Took me, another HD employee, and the store manager to bend a 1” pipe. Came out all crooked. Luckily an older gentleman in his 60s with the physique of a football player happened to walk by and showed us how it’s done... right :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back