Hatching/ raising brine shrimp

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have to start culturing brines, Ive done some research but have a few questions for people who raise them. What is the best food to feed the hatchlings? How often should I change the water in the grow out tank? Any help will be appreciated

Lrood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any real specific approach to raising brine shrimp. I suspect most of us use nhbbs as an intermediate level food (second or third tier) for larvae & juvies. I do keep a "waste bucket" where I put leftover nhbbs when I have them. This bucket gets some leftover phyto, and about once a week some crushed flake food. The bucket also has a co-culture of tigriopes pods. Both of these thrive on neglect! I once pretty much ignored the bucket for about a month, and decided I should clean it out and toss everything. The SG was 1.040, and I found a ton of very happy tiggers and brine shrimp in there.

As far as raising brine shrimp to adults to use as food, I have found it much easier to buy them from my lfs, a couple of bucks for about a 3 week supply for my needs (supplemental food for the ruby reds). My waste bucket is simply that, a place to dump excess that can still be used as food at a later date. I try to give the bucket a 50% water change about once a month, often with old water from my tank during a water change. I just have this 5 gallon bucket tucked under a counter in the fish room with a simple rigid airline for gentle aeration.

Not certain if this is useful info or not, but that's what I do.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local toy store and see if the have "sea monkeys"
This is how I raise and grow them for the kids.
Comes with food for them :)
Once algae starts growing in the tank they more or less live on their own
Oh and sea monkeys are brine shrimp!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I raise them by feeding yeast. The same kind you bake with. Add a little yeast to just cloud the water. When it clears, add more. You can raise them to adulthood on just yeast.

OP
OP
D

dmh41532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Paul! I'm always baking so we have a steady supply of yeast.

I currently go to 'local' fish stores, which for me is 60 miles in any direction.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 83 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back