Have a purplemouth moray looking for tips on adding another big eel

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy is about 3.5/4ft and he’s not as aggressive as I’ve heard people say. He hasn’t killed any fish or inverts. He’s only crazy around feeding time and has tons of space including a crazy pipe system I made out of giant pvc. Was looking to introduce another bigger aggressive eel like a dragon or similar genius. Just curious if anyone has any experience with introducing I’m sure he’ll be fine once the new guy is in but when the new one is introducing and swimming around he could def go after him out of curiosity and he has some nice teeth so I don’t want any damage if I can. Thanks!
IMG_1943.jpeg

0MNSH1ZLLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tessalata and Goldentail aren't nearly as big but they get along just fine. The Goldentail is always hungry and very aggressive which is annoying. I think they are both very pretty and hyperactive as far as eels go. You can't go wrong with either but I'd suggest the Tess since it will get closer in size to that monster you've got and it's not nearly as hard to get.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guy is about 3.5/4ft and he’s not as aggressive as I’ve heard people say. He hasn’t killed any fish or inverts. He’s only crazy around feeding time and has tons of space including a crazy pipe system I made out of giant pvc. Was looking to introduce another bigger aggressive eel like a dragon or similar genius. Just curious if anyone has any experience with introducing I’m sure he’ll be fine once the new guy is in but when the new one is introducing and swimming around he could def go after him out of curiosity and he has some nice teeth so I don’t want any damage if I can. Thanks!
IMG_1943.jpeg
That is one great looking eel!

OP
OP
eelguy97

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank?

You sure on the species? The colors don't look right?
300g and honestly I’m not that was the most common answer I got from people who are “experts” I got him from a random lfs he was malnutritioned and not cared for when I got him they didn’t even have a name for him.

OP
OP
eelguy97

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree - this looks more like the Dark Moray, Gymnothorax afer, than the Purplemouth Moray, Gymnothorax vicinus, to me.
Thank you I have To look into it. I have been looked for ages for an appropriate species but purple mouth was the closest match even though it didn’t look perfect I assumed maybe a different varient

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Viper and a green together. Both around 30“. The ignore each other unless feeding, and the will accidentally bite each other going after food. Both have many battle scars, the green has taken to brunt of it though. They are hardy, heal quickly, and their slim coat protects against infection. I would just go for something a similar size.

OP
OP
eelguy97

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Viper and a green together. Both around 30“. The ignore each other unless feeding, and the will accidentally bite each other going after food. Both have many battle scars, the green has taken to brunt of it though. They are hardy, heal quickly, and their slim coat protects against infection. I would just go for something a similar size.
Awesome I heard vipers are alittle shy! What size tank do you have ? Also any advice on how to add one with the current guy in it besides overfeeding him before the add?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a dragon would fit right in with him. How long have had him, I think they fall into the 50/50 category as far as aggression. They are a fang tooth eel so there should be an expected level of aggression. At that size they should fully mature within 6 months or so, so any extreme aggression should be coming out soon. The Gymnothorax miliaris(banana, fire, goldentail) would be another good choice. Sounds like there are options in territory, which is good. Besides feeding make sure to that the eel is very aware you are adding a newcomer. Introduce them separated at introduction, then let them introduce themselves to each other. Have some time for observation.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6c71...b3JnL3dpa2kvR3ltbm90aG9yYXhfbWlsaWFyaXM&ntb=1

OP
OP
eelguy97

eelguy97

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a dragon would fit right in with him. How long have had him, I think they fall into the 50/50 category as far as aggression. They are a fang tooth eel so there should be an expected level of aggression. At that size they should fully mature within 6 months or so, so any extreme aggression should be coming out soon. The Gymnothorax miliaris(banana, fire, goldentail) would be another good choice. Sounds like there are options in territory, which is good. Besides feeding make sure to that the eel is very aware you are adding a newcomer. Introduce them separated at introduction, then let them introduce themselves to each other. Have some time for observation.
https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6c71...b3JnL3dpa2kvR3ltbm90aG9yYXhfbWlsaWFyaXM&ntb=1
Thank you man! I’m new to this site just checked out some of your nutrition and other threads that Ispeakforseas told me to look at. Love all the info definitely have to figure out how to introduce them before introducing, and yeah I was looking a dragon more or less since they’re about the same size and body type as well as temperament im going to assume although my guy is quite calm for a fangtooth.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back