Have an extra bottle of BIO-Spira sitting around - should I use it? Throw it away?

loneboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new tank, only a few weeks old. I just put LS into it a couple of weeks ago, and I've been watching the levels ever since. Everything seems fine so far. I just did my first water change last night (20%). Some folks had advised me to put some BIO-Spira in the tank, because I hadn't fully cycled it before putting the fish in, which I went ahead and did. This is a 75g DT with a 25g sump, and the BIO-Spira I ordered is an 8.5 oz bottle. However, due to an ordering glitch, I received two bottles of BIO-Spira when I ordered. I only used one before, but is there anything to be gained/lost by adding the second one as well? Or should I just throw it away instead? I've read that it's "impossible to overdose" this stuff (because supposedly any bacteria beyond what is actually needed will just die off), which is what makes me think I might as well add it. But on the other hand, I don't know how true that "impossible to overdose" advice is.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes nothing wrong with adding more biospira. Great stuff! Added my clowns right after adding it to my tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw it in or give it away. No need to waste it.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brand new tank, only a few weeks old. I just put LS into it a couple of weeks ago, and I've been watching the levels ever since. Everything seems fine so far. I just did my first water change last night (20%). Some folks had advised me to put some BIO-Spira in the tank, because I hadn't fully cycled it before putting the fish in, which I went ahead and did. This is a 75g DT with a 25g sump, and the BIO-Spira I ordered is an 8.5 oz bottle. However, due to an ordering glitch, I received two bottles of BIO-Spira when I ordered. I only used one before, but is there anything to be gained/lost by adding the second one as well? Or should I just throw it away instead? I've read that it's "impossible to overdose" this stuff (because supposedly any bacteria beyond what is actually needed will just die off), which is what makes me think I might as well add it. But on the other hand, I don't know how true that "impossible to overdose" advice is.
Use it for your quarantine system.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
loneboat

loneboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you should. Do it right the first time or potentially regret having to do it later.

Add PVC fittings or a $10 fake coral resin decoration and you will have insured your display for $30-40. No brainer.

Do people usually keep their quarantine systems running 24/7? Or is it typically a "Oh I'm bringing home a new fish tomorrow, I should set up my QT tonight" deal?

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people usually keep their quarantine systems running 24/7? Or is it typically a "Oh I'm bringing home a new fish tomorrow, I should set up my QT tonight" deal?
I do TTM so I run one when I get new fish as needed. No need for copper or filters. Just a small powerhead(tunze), small heater, and thermometer, and a piece of pvc.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do TTM so I run one when I get new fish as needed. No need for copper or filters. Just a small powerhead(tunze), small heater, and thermometer, and a piece of pvc.
The standard TTM won't stop velvet, flukes, internal parasites or bacterial infections. The benefit of a HOB is if you need to treat the QT with medication you can easily run carbon through it when it's time to remove the medication for the observation period. It also allows you to keep a spare filter in the sump of your DT should you need to quickly setup a hospital tank.

But, yes. You'll need to add a thermometer to my parts list. Small Hydro Koralia powerheads can be bought for $20. A lot cheaper than a Tunze considering we are talking about a QT. But in a small tank the flow from HOB should be plenty to keep the water oxygenated.

OP
OP
loneboat

loneboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
You never know if you will need to throw up a hospital tank or something in case there is a emergency. Just keep it on hand
The standard TTM won't stop velvet, flukes, internal parasites or bacterial infections. The benefit of a HOB is if you need to treat the QT with medication you can easily run carbon through it when it's time to remove the medication for the observation period. It also allows you to keep a spare filter in the sump of your DT should you need to quickly setup a hospital tank.

But, yes. You'll need to add a thermometer to my parts list. Small Hydro Koralia powerheads can be bought for $20. A lot cheaper than a Tunze considering we are talking about a QT. But in a small tank the flow from HOB should be plenty to keep the water oxygenated.

Thanks all - I'm learning a ton! Appreciate your time!

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You can run prazipro during TTM. And I know it doesn't kill velvet. But TTM is still the better option than 5 or 6 weeks of copper IMO.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run prazipro during TTM. And I know it doesn't kill velvet. But TTM is still the better option than 5 or 6 weeks of copper IMO.
You don’t need to run copper for 5-6 Weeks.
2 weeks in copper then transfer to a sterile tank and treat for 2 weeks with General cure. Or treat in one tank for 30 days with copper.

Intense37754

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the seal is broken use it, if not and not expressed it’s good to keep on hand for QT or emergency hospital tank. I read that you can’t overdose beneficial bacteria

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 weeks in copper then transfer to a sterile tank and treat for 2 weeks with General cure. Or treat in one tank for 30 days with copper.
30 days in copper while you can't add anymore fish. I like my 12 days with TTM. Got 20+ fish into my display within 3 months doing TTM with 2 - 3 tanks at a time.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back