Have any of you guys had success with this acro?

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Therman is that the reef raft piece? It's beautiful! Is there any blue to it or is that just lighting?

Mine have always encrusted a huge base before upward growth as well. I would bet once it grows more the branches will get thicker. What kind of flow is in your tank?

No, that is the Battlecorals "Bleeding Tree Albro". No blue, but Adam has much deeper red going in the tips of his. My flow is only an MP40 and now a little gyre (formerly 2 tunzes) in a 36x36 half cube. Had to strike a balance between the higher flow acros and the giant Icefire echinata behind it :)

Looks like alot more then 6 inches of base haha! Looks great

Thanks! It covered the top of the rock, which is about 6" in diameter, before sprouting branches. Now it has started working its way down the sides of the rock.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The oval shaped coralites and color scheme look like a abrotranoides to me. As well butt the major encrusting it has done. I think once it grows you will be able to tell more. Ask Adam though he should know for sure.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect from the name that Adam thinks it's A. abrolhosensis and just got the letters mixed up a bit or had a typo.

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I suspect from the name that Adam thinks it's A. abrolhosensis and just got the letters mixed up a bit or had a typo.

Actually he's leaning toward abrotanoides. He had a branch sprouting out of his that was spectacular the last time I visited, and said the wild mother colony looked more like the AIMS abrotanoides photos.

Only confounder is if mine was switched by accident several years ago as a frag. Or maybe they are the same species with two different morphotypes ;)

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually he's leaning toward abrotanoides. He had a branch sprouting out of his that was spectacular the last time I visited, and said the wild mother colony looked more like the AIMS abrotanoides photos.

Only confounder is if mine was switched by accident several years ago as a frag. Or maybe they are the same species with two different morphotypes ;)
Haha, well either way, yours still looks like a tough Acro to get going skyward, so good job! I guess I am going to mount mine on a piece of Tonga, so it's encrustation will not over power all my other acros. I hope my frag is even the species I started the thread about...it looks very similar, however, I got mine from a browned out colony, so it was a little more difficult to identify, but it is close. Very similar, it might be the species you thought Adams could be. Oh well, it will be fun to try and grow out.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Only way to find out for sure is to kill the coral, bust out the Veron book and get the help of a coral biologist! :eek: Perhaps just continued speculation is best.... :p

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-40-23.png
Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-40-11.png
Pretty sick looking. Asia i think does have it, and if you find the frags lmk

OP
OP
hinovak

hinovak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-40-23.png
Screenshot_2016-11-12-22-40-11.png
Pretty sick looking. Asia i think does have it, and if you find the frags lmk
Dude. That is the one i saw, that made me want one. I ended up buying a frag of a similar acro...still waiting for it to color up...it was browned out when I got it. I need to send you a piece of that frag I gave jgarza in the other thread....it's ridiculous! I'm not kidding, everyone wants it..

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dude. That is the one i saw, that made me want one. I ended up buying a frag of a similar acro...still waiting for it to color up...it was browned out when I got it. I need to send you a piece of that frag I gave jgarza in the other thread....it's ridiculous! I'm not kidding, everyone wants it..
Yea looks sick, whered you get that piece?

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
image.png
Hey there sps dudes! I saw a picture on Facebook of this acro. I believe it might be ausi, however, I have no idea. Anyway, it looks very cool, but I have never tried this species before, and I kind of would like to. So any input about it, and if it holds its color long term, and maybe if you know a vendor I could source a cool piece from would be great. Thanks guys! This particular piece was posted by rra
I have a big colony of that acro. Fast grower but i never got it to color up. Still brown with a bit of green. I think i have it over a year now

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
To update this mystery, I think the BC Bleeding Tree is definitely more along the lines of an abrotanoides, and a resilient one at that! In low flow and rather low par it morphed into the growth form I posted earlier in the thread, with ~1/2" thick branches and overall dark green with white tips.

Finally hitting its stride after a few months in a bigger tank, higher par, and much more intense random flow. Definitely growing to be a centerpiece Acropora. It's been just shy of 4 years since I got the starter frag from Adam @Battlecorals

IMG_0058.jpg

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine is in the 3 year mark now and still brown. I have soo many frags and mini colony of it. The main colony is sitting in high par and high flow yet refused to color up. I gave up on this acro ans starting to glue other acros on top of it

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back