Have been feeding anemones sardines and have had no growth could sardines be the problem?

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been feeding my anemones sardines with no growth, could sardines be the problem?

Should I change to feeding them shrimp?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you feed use small food items like mysis or chopped shrimp. Sardines are too hard for them to break down.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of nems do you have?

I don't know the names of the anemones, but here is a picture of them. The one that the arrow is pointing to has got smaller and smaller with me feeding sardines.

2019-05-14 12.45.14.jpg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look like the "Hatian" Anemones my local petco has I believe..... look kinda cool, would add a few hoping they aren't big travelers, but I would worried they would wipe out expensive coral so I haven't chanced it.....

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
condylactis anemone. They do not need to be fed, but if feeding them, use small bits of mysis or very finely chopped shrimp. Sardines are very hard for them to digest.

As for the one shrinking up, it make just be trying to take a poo or expel the sardine. Keep an eye on it and make sure the mouth does not gape and that the insides of the nem come out of the mouth.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in a piece of pvc pipe so it could not move around a lot, but it hasn't been accepting food, and it seems to be opening back up so maybe with more time it will keep getting better.

20190514_215657-1.jpg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop feeding it..... and if healthy, it can easily (and will) move out of a piece of pvc

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would stop feeding it..... and if healthy, it can easily (and will) move out of a piece of pvc

Alright. It will not accept food right now, so I will wait and see if it continues to get better. I hope it does.

OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in the piece of pvc over night and this morning it seems to be opening back up again, so hopefully it will continue to open and accept peices of shrimp soon.

20190515_055135.jpg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put it in the piece of pvc over night and this morning it seems to be opening back up again, so hopefully it will continue to open and accept peices of shrimp soon.

20190515_055135.jpg
It is best not to feed them for a good while if the tank is new. They will get all of the nutrition they need from the lights. Even when settled in, you do not need to feed them. Not saying you cannot feed them, but if is definitely best to wait until they are fully acclimated and comfortable in the tank. Especially since your tank is very new.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You talking sardines out of a can?

Even if its 100% sardines most Cannerys will spray any fish product for human consumption with some chemically based PHOSPHORUS bc it preserves the fish by keeping it moist and fresh

Putting that in your tank will create a major Phosphate (PO4) issue for you and lots of nuisance algae.

Just a heads up that fish products from shrimp to oysters to sardines to anything fish/seafood related that's been canned by a Cannery will prob have loads of Phosphate sprayed on the food product

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jeremy Lain

Jeremy Lain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is still doing good, I guess it it going to take some time for it to go back to the size it was before, it used to be alot bigger.

Anemone.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back