Have Cycno issue and had algae bloom. What next?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gmavrom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gmavrom

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 26, 2024
Messages
195
Reaction score
80
Location
Apollo Beach
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a minor cyno bacteria issue went on vacation and son was feeding tank and then had a major algae bloom that killed 2 clowns and a bristle tooth in my WB 110. Thank is 7 months. Had been feeding with Red sea AB reef food. He turned on the UV which controlled the bloom and he was cleaning filter. Thought it was Ich and began poly lab reef safe treatment a week ago. Now back and began cleaning tank. Three fish a cardinal. fire fish and scopus are alive and show no ich. Began scooping up and cleaning some of the cyno which also killed and injured some corals and my emerald crab. I see no ich and the nitrate nitrite is zero. I can't add chemiclean beause of treating now with Polylab. Did the algae suck up the nitrate? It was very low to begin with. What should I do?
 
Had a minor cyno bacteria issue went on vacation and son was feeding tank and then had a major algae bloom that killed 2 clowns and a bristle tooth in my WB 110. Thank is 7 months. Had been feeding with Red sea AB reef food. He turned on the UV which controlled the bloom and he was cleaning filter. Thought it was Ich and began poly lab reef safe treatment a week ago. Now back and began cleaning tank. Three fish a cardinal. fire fish and scopus are alive and show no ich. Began scooping up and cleaning some of the cyno which also killed and injured some corals and my emerald crab. I see no ich and the nitrate nitrite is zero. I can't add chemiclean beause of treating now with Polylab. Did the algae suck up the nitrate? It was very low to begin with. What should I do?

I’m confused by some of the statements. Algae doesn’t kill fish, though if aeration is inadequate, low O2 might.

What was the timing between the uv turn on and the fish deaths?
 
A tank picture will help understand whats going on in your tank....
 
Given the UV was not turned on until after 2 fish deaths, I am at a loss to understand why the fish died, but it is not from the presence of green algae.
 
A tank picture will help understand whats going on in your tank....
I have cleaned it up, scooped up some of the cyno, and cleaned the filters daily. I was using a Klir 4-inch filter, but it got overwhelmed by the algae and used up the media in a couple of days. Normally, it lasts 5 weeks or so. Just wondering, should I add Nitrate? I will add chemiclean in a few days.
 
It’s a reasonable plan to be sure that nitrate and phosphate are detectable for various reasons such as avoiding dinos. Feeding more or dosing seem appropriate.
 
It’s a reasonable plan to be sure that nitrate and phosphate are detectable for various reasons such as avoiding dinos. Feeding more or dosing seem appropriate.
I was doing that before I went on vacation. I think feeding daily with the Redsea AB may have set off the cyanobacteria and algae bloom. I had reached barely detectable Nitrate and phosphate and dosed a couple of times with Nitrate. Tomorrow I will add charcoal to clear the Polylab reef safe, and may add some chemi clean and then start adding more fish with 2 clowns
 
I realize this thread is about a month old, but figured I would chime in anyways.

I am wondering if you got a positive ID on the "cyano" and that it is not in fact something that would produce toxins, like dinoflagellates. Specifically I am thinking this could be Ostreopsis based on your statement about the UV taking care of the bloom.
 
No I did not it went away but I still have a light brown algae film on glass and on sand. Tank i 7 months old
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new