Have some questions for new tank setup and about glass cages

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting ready to try a large tank, like 300 gallon. I am currently running a 37 gallon oceanic cube and doing ok but i want to go big. I have looked into the glass cages tanks and few others. Searched for glass cages on here but couldnt find anything. I could have missed it though.lol. I definately want to go glass for the durability. Any other builders around middle tn that make something around 300? I also would like ideas on sump, fuge, whats the best for a tank of that size. what would i need to look into for a 300?? I plan to run led lighting and want to do coral starting off with softies and easy stuff to start until im sure i can manage a large tank. Also looking for good place to get live rock at decent price if buy lot. Thanks, im planning to build this dividing two rooms and will be viewable from 3 sides, with custom stand and canopy.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That build sounds fantastic!

That is a lot of work especially for a tank that is viewable from 3 sides. The tank requires a lot of flow to remain healthy, so you will probably want to look into a closed loop system. Or be ready to spend a lot of money for very powerful powerheads. Like Tunze or Ecotec.

You will probably not find a lot of support for glass cages on this specific forum. They used to have a decent product, but a few people have had terrible customer service from them, and there are others that had total tank failures. So I would start looking at other options. Depending on your budget, I would start watching craigs list from here and other surrounding areas as well as other FS forums from surrounding areas to find a decent tank of that size.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for tank build around the 300 size. It will give you a better idea what's ahead of you.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most people are willing to look beyond Glass Cages HORRIBLE, ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE customer service when it comes to getting a tank that cheap. People also often take issue with their quality of workmanship. My glasscages tank was great! But I have heard so many horror stories out of them (much worse than just the stories of sloppy silicon, like Chris is saying...BIG problems) I will never have another Glass Cages tank. I spent the extra money and got a reliable tank. So take that for what it's worth.

For a tank that big, a closed loop is definitely the way to go...probably in addition to some serious power heads like Vortechs and Tunze (I totally agree with Chris).

For a sump, I'd go as big as you can fit under your stand. That's another thing you want to consider: height of your stand. You're going to want a big honkin' skimmer under there so you need to check out skimmers before you decide on the stand's height (to make sure that the skimmer will fit underneath it). That or you can have it beside it or behind it or whatever. I'm just saying...it's something to consider.

I don't want to discourage you but moving from a 30g tank to a 300g tank is a big jump. You need some serious planning...and cash. I mean, even a 180g tank is more manageable than a 300g. But if it's your dream tank and you do the planning, I think you could get it done. One nice thing is that the Nashville club has lots of members who can help you with all the different points of consideration. You're lucky there.

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive owned numerous tanks and sumps from them and never had any problems at all....
Just go into it knowing theres a chance you might have to deal with a grumpy person if you catch them on a bad day..

AirAngel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a glass 225 tank locally for sale at a great price. I believe it is in good condition, some others on here may have taken a closer look.
She has sold all of her stuff her husband left when he passed.
She is registered here,her name and user ID is Radonna.
I got a canopy from GC yesterday and they made it up on just a few hours notice. I am quite pleased with it and the construction. Thier tanks may be a different story. They dont use tempered glass

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I am planning to get this going by Christmas possibly sooner. I plan to go with end center overflows, i know that will have one visible but it will be a conversation piece.lol. As for the closed loop system, what meaning by that? Is that just with inline pump instead of a sump?? Im new to all this, like i said i have been into saltwater for 10+ years just never got really big. I had a 75 gallon but never had a lot of coral. I will say people here are very nice compared to other forums, some talk to you like your an idiot if you ask a question. Thanks again for all the info. I have a lot to learn but i hope to have plenty time to get there if i can. As for stand would it be a good idea to make all panels removable completely if possible??

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A closed loop pulls water from the display and returns it to the display via a pump without going through the sump. This increases your water flow in the display without needing to increase your sump turnover. I say go big with the 300+gal. You will be very pleased with something that size. It will be expensive, but well worth it in my opinion. Like others have already stated, set up a sound plan prior to buying anything. Good luck.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 29g and a 90g from GC (I wont give them the pleasure of a web hit on their name) and never had a "failure" but both were shoddy at best. The 90g was RR with an offset overflow. The overflow was horrible (in terms of performance). The cover was designed poorly (teeth too close together, didn't match up to OF in terms of dimensions etc) and the overall tank was a hassle in terms of water level. I had it ~5 years and the whole time I was completely unhappy with it.

This is just talking about build quality and performance and in no way even remotely starts to talk about their horrible customer service (after they had my credit card), their non-existent quality control, and their lack of cleanliness of the finished product.

Buyer Beware... they are CHEAPER for many reasons . . . I wouldn't commission them to build a trough to catch dog waste let alone something I want to be the single largest component that will be housing gallons upon gallons of water INSIDE my home.

Remember I'm speaking from First Hand Experience and not something I heard from a friend whose cousin's sister's brother heard of a bad experience.

If you want to see more reviews (it's mind boggling how many extremely bad ones they have yet people still give them their hard earned $$) just google their name and do some research. Yes there are many people who have had good results and I'm sure many more who didn't post about their good results but when you start looking there are WAY too many negative reviews about them. A negative review here and there might be a difference in personality but the shear number of HORRIBLE reviews says a lot about the company, their customer service and their quality of build.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the closed loop system, what meaning by that? Is that just with inline pump instead of a sump??

A closed loop is in ADDITION to your sump. Basically you pump water out of the tank and back into the tank...that's it. It's purely to increase flow in the tank.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have been studying and looking into this build. I plan to have a 36" cabinet next to tank for my rodi, makeup water, plumbing, etc etc. I am thinking i do not want powerheads hanging in tank so i definately want closed loop. i will have plenty room to hide plumbing. Also i was wondering if aquatic critter was good place to get tank drilled and set up, and if their fish were ok or would recommend somewhere else to get stuff for tank. Im getting my list ready to start getting stuff together for this build. What protien skimmer do most of you recommend? What kind of controllers? What else should i look into???................. I was looking at the hybrid pumps ReeFlo Snapper/Dart Hybrid
43002600GPH is one that jumped out. Would 2600 be too much for a 200 gallon build? Im thinking tank measurements need to be 72" 24" and debating on depth... What is optimal depth for a led setup. Thinking kessil or something in the led for the tank to keep power consumption down and also heat. i am still a long way away from th build but starting to order stuff slowly.

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type lighting should i plan to run on the fuge? I hope to be able to get 75 or bigger under the tank.

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish mostly come from aquatic critter and I have had nothing but good experiences. I have tried online, and I think it's going to either be member owned livestock or from aquatic critter from now on.

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the aquatic critter ! Great deals for me at least haha they cold price some frags cheaper but hey right now they have a120$ thing of exinia as big as my chest! And a plate coral the size of my palm for 69 I almost bought it but I was 3$ short

Andrew calvo

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a 300 gallon tank, depending on how well stocked you lan on keeping it, you are looking at spending around $600-$800. SWC Skimmers and Reef Octopus are great and worth the money.

I would at least go 24" front to back.

Reeflo pumps are excellent.

APEX controllers are very popular

Orphek LED's, Ecotech LEDs, or AI Sols are all great. Kessil 350's would work but you would need quite a few to cover a 300.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.0%
Back