Have some questions for new tank setup and about glass cages

palvyre

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apollo Reef LED are nice light fixtures. I have had good luck with my RLSS skimmer too.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH be cheaper? You've never bought and run a chiller, have you? :D

Brandon

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a chiller haha all I know is that they do get hot and you will need a chiller but I guess it will be more expincive in the long run I still don't like LEDs me I always use t5 lights I started out with t5 and plan on sticking unless LEDs prove them selves to me only cuz I like the lightning feather haha

Andrew calvo

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH aren't even cheaper up front for the good stuff. :) Not to mention heat, bulb replacements, etc. Especially on a 300g, that is going to add up really quickly. Potentially $1500 to $2000 per year in all, maybe more. That's not for me, personally. :)

Brandon

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the opinion all things reefing are an endless debate. Haha!

I'm talking about high end MH. Lumen Max reflectors, electronic ballasts, Radium 20k bulbs, etc. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
JOKER

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about t5 or mh, but i want to be different.lol. I am having pretty good luck with the led so far. Had a little bit of algae problem but im only running the a150w 10k with no supplement lighting to see how it would do. I have cut it back to 5 hours a day and seems some better. I am just experimenting right now to see how it goes... I know t5 are great but never tried the mh due to heat.. Im thinking i am definately going with the reef flow for the closed loop. It is a hybrid so if i need more flow i can change it. As for protien skimmer im thinking this will be plenty, Vertex Alpha 200 Protein Skimmer. What kind of sump pump do you guys recommend? UV recomendations??

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Store in kansas city,aquarium wholesale, was selling marine land 300dd for like 1599. Was lowest I had ever seen

fireman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i agree. Mh will add up quickly. I use mh and good bulbs are expensive as brandon said. Plus heat factor and possibly a chiller. Leds arent that new. They are always advancing. Ive looked at several diy fixtures and prices are reasonable plus dont have to replace bulbs yearly like you do with t5 and metal halide. I run halides with t5 actinics. I love the growth from halides just hate replacing bulbs twice a year. I don't have heat issues because i have an open back canopy and two inlet fans and one large exhaust fan on top.

Last edited:

calvo15290

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I will say the blue is amazing but someone had a purple tip Monty cap and you coldent see the purple but the coral dose respond dif to dif lights

Andrew calvo

fireman23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't have experience with using LED. Bit my dad does and alot of members here do. I don't like to give on something i know nothing about as far as use. Anyways Sorry to get off topic. I use an Eheim return pump and love it. Never had a problem out of it

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MH aren't even cheaper up front for the good stuff. :) Not to mention heat, bulb replacements, etc. Especially on a 300g, that is going to add up really quickly. Potentially $1500 to $2000 per year in all, maybe more. That's not for me, personally. :)

Brandon

Good advice here. I had a 325 and it was easily $2000 per year to operate (probably more but I hate to admit it). It drove me away from the hobby for awhile. Sounds good but it is a lot of work and be prepared to spend half a day a week on maintenance, minimum. Lots of cheap big tanks out there people are practically giving away (and there's a reason why that is the case). Would absolutely take your breath away at times, though

redmille.jpg

rhomboid1-1.jpg

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does that mean you're getting back in with LEDs, Dave? ;)

And FWIW, those acans are insane!!!

Brandon

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Any details on what you're setting up?

Brandon

CloudIX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here. I had a 325 and it was easily $2000 per year to operate (probably more but I hate to admit it). It drove me away from the hobby for awhile. Sounds good but it is a lot of work and be prepared to spend half a day a week on maintenance, minimum. Lots of cheap big tanks out there people are practically giving away (and there's a reason why that is the case). Would absolutely take your breath away at times, though Best of luck to you!

This is not my experience. The up front cost is expensive to get all the equipment. But My 240 gallon tank with a 90 gallon sump does not cost that much a year to run. I built it with low maintenance cost in mind. It cost me about 50 bucks a month in Elect. and maybe 400 to 500 a year in additives. So my bill is just a hair over 1000 a year for everything. Since I have LED's the cost of new bulbs is not a factor and elect is cheaper. No need for a chiller. BRS 2 part and everything automated with my apex controller. I might spend part of a day every few weeks doing maintenance due to my level of automation.

Also Glasscages built my 240 tank and my 90 gallon sump. Not one problem, nothing but a good experience with them.

Last edited:

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not my experience. The up front cost is expensive to get all the equipment. But My 240 gallon tank with a 90 gallon sump does not cost that much a year to run. I built it with low maintenance cost in mind. It cost me about 50 bucks a month in Elect. and maybe 400 to 500 a year in additives. So my bill is just a hair over 1000 a year for everything. Since I have LED's the cost of new bulbs is not a factor and elect is cheaper. No need for a chiller. BRS 2 part and everything automated with my apex controller. I might spend part of a day every few weeks doing maintenance due to my level of automation.

Also Glasscages built my 240 tank and my 90 gallon sump. Not one problem, nothing but a good experience with them.

You missed the part where we were discussing MH on large tanks. ;) Your point about LEDs is spot on, though, and is exactly the point being made. It greatly reduces the cost of owning a large tank.

Brandon

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 146 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back