Have to "get rid of" reef tank (lost on what to do)

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the skinny. I got confirmation this morning of something I knew was potentially coming; my job is relocating me across the country for a project. I will eventually be back, but it's expected that I'll be remote for the next two-three years. While I was waiting on the potential news I was going back and forth on what to do with my tank. Earlier this week I was seeking advice on my GHA problems, but now they seem minor.

Gist of the tank: Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon, three fish, a few corals, and some snails and hermit crabs.

For a while I thought, "Maybe I could take the tank with me.", but honestly, I don't think I'll have the time to take care of a tank with my hours. That aside, moving a tank across the country also won't work as I'll be in an apartment temporarily for a few months.

Here's where I'm lost, where do I begin with "getting rid of my tank"? I know that sounds harsh, but I wanted to word it in a way that doesn't sound like I'm trying to sell it. The money I've put into the tank is a sunk cost, and I enjoyed [most] of my time with the tank (minus the GHA). I really just want to make sure the fish have a "home", as well as, hopefully, the snails and hermit crabs. Would a LFS take everything back, specifically the fish, corals, and CUC? The tank itself I'll just give away somehow.

Just seeking some advice. It's the end of an era, but I'll return one day anew.

WirelessMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's the skinny. I got confirmation this morning of something I knew was potentially coming; my job is relocating me across the country for a project. I will eventually be back, but it's expected that I'll be remote for the next two-three years. While I was waiting on the potential news I was going back and forth on what to do with my tank. Earlier this week I was seeking advice on my GHA problems, but now they seem minor.

Gist of the tank: Fluval Flex 32.5 gallon, three fish, a few corals, and some snails and hermit crabs.

For a while I thought, "Maybe I could take the tank with me.", but honestly, I don't think I'll have the time to take care of a tank with my hours. That aside, moving a tank across the country also won't work as I'll be in an apartment temporarily for a few months.

Here's where I'm lost, where do I begin with "getting rid of my tank"? I know that sounds harsh, but I wanted to word it in a way that doesn't sound like I'm trying to sell it. The money I've put into the tank is a sunk cost, and I enjoyed [most] of my time with the tank (minus the GHA). I really just want to make sure the fish have a "home", as well as, hopefully, the snails and hermit crabs. Would a LFS take everything back, specifically the fish, corals, and CUC? The tank itself I'll just give away somehow.

I think you could check for local reef clubs to find good homes for your livestock. As far as selling the tank and components you could post locally like FB or CL. Or maybe someone in the local clubs would give you a fair deal for everything. You could post on here, but shipping might not be an option and you might find a broader audience locally. Just a thought.

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tear it down and hold onto the pieces for a future set up.

I broke down a large system years ago, got virtually 10-15% of the total cost and 12 years later wish I had some of the pieces when I jumped back into the hobby.
I get it, it’s a pain to store but if you think one day the bug will bite again, keep the key components...

Just my simple man thoughts

OP
OP
AndyinAtlanta

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you could check for local reef clubs to find good homes for your livestock. As far as selling the tank and components you could post locally like FB or CL. Or maybe someone in the local clubs would give you a fair deal for everything. You could post on here, but shipping might not be an option and you might find a broader audience locally. Just a thought.
Yeah, that's part of my problem. My profession doesn't believe in "giving me ample time to prepare." I literally will be moving in a week. It sucks but it pays.

Just to reiterate, really have no interest in selling. From the fish to the tank itself, I'm not asking for money. Problem is, its not like I can do what I did with my couch and TV this afternoon and stick it on the curb.

OP
OP
AndyinAtlanta

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't want to sell, consider donating it to a deserving young person. The newer young employees at the LFS would be grateful for the gift.
Didn't consider this. I'm guessing I should just call the store and ask what they do and don't want. I mean, free is free right?

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about donating it to a school where students could learn about marine life/ biology?
Before my Mom passed, she was in an assisted living facility and they also had a salt water tank in their activity room. They had a service come in to maintain it and the residents got great pleasure out of having it there.
Just a few thoughts!

OP
OP
AndyinAtlanta

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about donating it to a school where students could learn about marine life/ biology?
Before my Mom passed, she was in an assisted living facility and they also had a salt water tank in their activity room. They had a service come in to maintain it and the residents got great pleasure out of having it there.
Just a few thoughts!
I actually thought about this, but the timing kind of sucks. I had to spend today frantically finding a uHaul to rent next week. I'm not sure I'll have the time to coordinate with a school about taking the tank.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't consider this. I'm guessing I should just call the store and ask what they do and don't want. I mean, free is free right?
I have already thought this out in case something happens to me. I would speak to the owner and ask who is the most deserving person to get your pets and/or equipment. The young people don't make much and are always in the hobby. I would feel better things going to someone who will appreciate and take care of them. Plus they will come, break it all down and safely carry things away.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure an LFS will come get all this and maybe put a couple bucks in your pocket. Or take all live stock and rock to LFS. drain And clean equipment and tank. Take it with you For the future use.

Mike from TN

Owner/ Operator of the worlds most crowded Evo
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually thought about this, but the timing kind of sucks. I had to spend today frantically finding a uHaul to rent next week. I'm not sure I'll have the time to coordinate with a school about taking the tank.
Got ya!
I didn’t realize it was all happening that quickly.
I applaud you for being concerned about finding a good home for your tank inhabitants.
Have you posted in the “local clubs” section of this forum? You may have a fellow reefer closer than you think that can help you out.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would post on a forum locally and give it away. The lfs in my area buy from hobbyists.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people in the reef club will be willing to pounce on a deal to buy the tank, I mean the reef club scene is literally about growing money (frags). They will pounce on it to resell to others. Just have to put it at the right price.

Also, giving a reef tank to someone free is not the best idea IMO because there is a high maintanence cost. So if they are not willing to put some money upfront, it will probably not turn out well longer term.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free to good home on whatever forum allows, CL and FB marketplace can be weird about livestock.

I think with that size tank it would be an easy move for someone. I got rid of a 120 gallon tank in about a week on CL...but am holding the fish and rock to make it easier for the rebuild.

OP
OP
AndyinAtlanta

AndyinAtlanta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure an LFS will come get all this and maybe put a couple bucks in your pocket. Or take all live stock and rock to LFS. drain And clean equipment and tank. Take it with you For the future use.
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards this option. There are a few in my area that I'll call tomorrow.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been through this a few times due to my job, every time I called an LFS and they took it all. One time he gave me some cash another I just gave most of it away to them. With my job now I travel a ton but the tank is on autopilot. I lived in 5 states in 6 years, it’s tough

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back