Have trouble with hammers

StartingATank

Self-Diagnosed Coral Addict
View Badges
Joined
Nov 30, 2024
Messages
2,385
Reaction score
1,753
Location
DFW Metroplex
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, this may sound confusing, but no matter what, I can’t keep small polyp hammers, which are most hammers, but big polyp hammers, closer to frammers but not frammers, I can keep alive. Is there any logic to this? They are usually under same conditions
 
20261010_184801_CF4CEBA5-F08D-4169-9621-756456578814.png


20261010_184801_B4D4B50F-7C29-4C80-9976-FBB9A8817704.png

Ok so the first one is large polyp, and the second is small polyp. Here are my parameters:
Nitrites ammonia are 0
Nitrates are around 1-5
Phosphates are around .01-.05
Alk is at about 8-9
Calcium is at 440
Magnesium is at 1330 or 1430
Ph is 8-9, I think
 
I use Red Sea lights reefled 50 at 100% blues 10 hours a day, 50% whites 8 hours a day. Flow is low to medium and it is random. They are about 1-3 to 1/2 way up the tank. No predators nearby
 
Also, I have tried maybe 7 small polyp and have 2 large polyp. The large polyp ones are Alive and thriving, but for every small polyp one I have had they always go into polyp bailout with the exception of one, which jab BJD, but it was the only one that had it
 
What are you using to test your water? Nitrates are low by my standards I like to keep mine anywhere between 10 and 40. Phosphate is ok. What other corals do you have? Any SPS? If not LPS and softies like higher nutrients.
 
I think you're seeing differences in flow within the tank.

None of them are going to be ultimately happy with dissolved nutrient levels that low, especially regarding PO4.

IMO if you eliminate excessive filtration (skimmer+live rock is enough) or otherwise get dissolved nutrient levels up to satisfactory levels (according to your corals) then flow differences will matter less. (If there is no excess filtration, consider dosing liquid nutrients.)

IMO, in the short term target ≥ 0.10 ppm for PO4 and ≥ 5 ppm for NO3. See how things go from there.
 
Yeah I am trying to raise my nutrients, I am using Hanna’s and some Red Sea test kits. I have put them in the same flow as the other hammers that are doing good and they still died
 
I do not have any SPS as I cannot keep any kind of SPS alive. The only SPS that didn’t bleach immediately was a pavona, but I have tried cyphastrea, stylocoeniellas, bird nests, several montis, and some other ones I forgot about
 
I try to dose but I have noticed that anytime I dose, phosphates never react to the phosphate dosing and nitrates over react. One time I dosed for 10 ppm nitrates and it went up to 50. It may have been my error though
 
Yeah I am trying to raise my nutrients, I am using Hanna’s and some Red Sea test kits. I have put them in the same flow as the other hammers that are doing good and they still died
Let us know what products you are using for dosing, and what volume you are considering for your tank in the calculations and we can double check the math at least.

It's very possible if the tank is starved for N or P that there will be but surge in uptake when you dose.....it's a good idea IMO to re-test an hour or so after you dose to check this. Re-dose to target levels if needed. Test daily for a while until you have the tank's rhythm down pat....dosing should get less and less necessary.

Corals should survive much better once you have established good nutrient levels. 👍

This might make sense if I can explain it.... :) Flow is also crucial to delivery of dissolved nutrients....hence my earlier comment. If dissolve nutrient levels are "low" and a particular coral is getting somewhat less flow than another coral, it will struggle or maybe even bleach or RTN while the first coral seems to do OK. Flow has to be able to get past each coral's mucus boundary layer....and weak flow can hamper or halt that process. But if nutrient levels are TOO low, then no amount of flow will help since there aren't enough nutrients in the water even if tank water does get to the coral.
 
Yeah I am trying to raise my nutrients, I am using Hanna’s and some Red Sea test kits. I have put them in the same flow as the other hammers that are doing good and they still died
Let us know what products you are using for dosing, and what volume you are considering for your tank in the calculations and we can double check the math at least.

It's very possible if the tank is starved for N or P that there will be but surge in uptake when you dose.....it's a good idea IMO to re-test an hour or so after you dose to check this. Re-dose to target levels if needed. Test daily for a while until you have the tank's rhythm down pat....dosing should get less and less necessary.

Corals should survive much better once you have established good nutrient levels. 👍

This might make sense if I can explain it.... :) Flow is also crucial to delivery of dissolved nutrients....hence my earlier comment. If dissolve nutrient levels are "low" and a particular coral is getting somewhat less flow than another coral, it will struggle or maybe even bleach or RTN while the first coral seems to do OK. Flow has to be able to get past each coral's mucus boundary layer....and weak flow can hamper or halt that process. But if nutrient levels are TOO low, then no amount of flow will help since there aren't enough nutrients in the water even if tank water does get to the coral.
I will do that, but I have just went out if town so I will let you know once I test and dose
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new